6" Jointers

Page 2 of 2

Brian wrote:

I can't answer the question adequately, since this is my first "real" 6" jointer. Well, I did have a Craftsman that I got from my Dad. That had a fence that was so bad it was almost inconceivable.
The rack and pinion fence seems to be robust. I would worry about excess rotation about the center compared to a two-point support system, but the mount is heavy duty and seems to maintain allignments well enough. I have not checked it to the extent that I checked parallelism for the infeed and outfeed tables, however.
I'm happy with the machine. It is alligned well, finished well, and runs quietly. There is indeed a lot of hardware on the back side of the machine - it doesn't get particularly close to a wall when parked.
JK
--
James T. Kirby
Center for Applied Coastal Research

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 07:44:34 -0500, "George"

I really like the Delta fence - stays square as far as moving back and forth across the table which I do regularly to try to keep the wear on the knives even - but I always check it whenever I change the angle back and forth from 90 deg.
Bob
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 07:44:34 -0500, "George"

My Ridgid's been great in that respect.
Barry

Why would you put starch on your cast iron? If you don't want to use talc isn't it better to put something onthe iron that will PREVENT rust rather than encouraage it?
--

FF