6 inch jointer?

I'm looking at the Grizzly G1182Z

but not sure if it's the right choice. A review from a couple of years back rated all the big name models about the same, but I wonder if you all have any thoughts on the matter?

(In ordering 1400 dollars worth of grizzly products they aren't giving me any break. I know, I know: I'm "small potatoes." But now I have less incentive to buy their jointer along with the lathe, etc.)

Reply to
Sammy

A few months ago I got a 6" jointer from Sunhill (the CT-60). It's the same price as the Grizzly, but it has two cast iron extensions that bring the bed to 52", and it has handwheels. The extra few inches of bed length are handy in jointing longer boards. I received good service from Sunhill, and have been very satisfied with the tool (good fit and finish, and the beds are as straight and square as I can measure). Oh, and it's blue instead of green :-)

The Grizzly stuff is pretty inexpensive, and I am not sure there is a lot of margin.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

It's not. Get the Powermatic 54A instead.

dave

Sammy wrote:

snip

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I have had this jointer in my shop for the last few years and can not say enough good things about it. I have used jointers that cost nearly twice as much and were not as substantial.

Dick Durbin

Reply to
Dick Durbin

I have this jointer and it works great. It did take some effort to get setup though. My original fence had a twist in it, but Grizzly sent me a new one, no questions asked. Powermatic's 6" jointer has longer tables IIRC, which is always a plus, but costs more if that's an issue.

Mike Dembroge

Reply to
Mike Dembroge

the PM54a has 66" tables.