4" vs 6" ducting for effective dust collecting

Yeah, I was about to point out: it's very possible to have pipes that are too big for your blower!

If the blower is pulling the same volume of air, the airspeed in a 6" pipe will be half that of the airspeed in a 4". If you don't have a big enough blower, then that can be a problem.

- Brooks

Reply to
Brooks Moses

Sure - it you eat enough of it.

It's not a matter of physical location, it's a matter of volume. Home shops don't generate the volume of "carcinogens" that production shops do.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Wow!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

There is much logical sounding information in this discussion thread that is unfortunately either partially or wholly wrong. Please take the time to at least read my blog if not my web pages for more information.

Reply to
Bill Pentz

Bill Pentz snipped-for-privacy@example.com wrote in news:16852e3d962608d0$1$1657460$ snipped-for-privacy@news.newsgroupdirect.com:

What have you learned in the 15 years or so since that thread happened?

Is a big giant cyclone with hard to find (for me at least) 6" PVC pipe still the awesomest way to go? Is a broom still the best way to remove sawdust from the floor, especially when we can buy a Festool tool to do that?

Puckdropper (Questions 1 and 2 are serious.)

Reply to
Puckdropper

He's found out that trolling works. All of these posts from homoaners club are from the same person.

Reply to
krw

You need some SERIOUS CFM to maintain adequate velocity in a 6 inch pipe tor effective dust (and even moreso - chip) extraction

Reply to
Clare Snyder

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Well the guy did post under the name of Bill Pentz... and referred people to his blog without linking it. I bet he won't ever come back to check for replies.

Bill Pentz was a woodworker who got hit with dust causing health problems and advocates a big cyclone to collect as much fine dust as possible as well as PPE. I have one but never got the pipe to hook it up. (Btw, I'm shifting to more of a "driveway woodshop" style due to a move. Anyone interested in a tested but never used Clearvue Cyclone?)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I followed Bill's advice--the most powerful tool in my shop is the cyclone. In all honesty, for my use it's gross overkill--I suspect one from Woodcraft would be perfectly adequate. One thing about the big one though, it doesn't produce that "need hearing protection scream" that some do--more of a low rumble.

Reply to
J. Clarke

If you want to share thoughts do it here. We likely will not go to another place to satisfy click bait requests.

Reply to
Leon

Check the headers. The "Hermes 2.0" tag has shown up in every one of the antediluvian posts Homemoaner Club articles. They're all trolling from same person.

I'm going the other way. I'm working on the finance committed to justify a HEPA dust collector.

Reply to
krw