4" number templates for router needed

What it is, the state building/fire codes require that the address number in front of a residence be in numbers at least 4" tall and 6" tall for businesses. So if I want to do an address sign I need to do it in these sizes.

I have googled but don't find such a thing. Doing freehand is not practical for my project.

I'd like to have templates for both 4" and 6" numbers as well as letters.

Any suggestions?

Ralph So. Calif.

Reply to
Ralph Compton

---------------------------------

Start looking for a pantograph unit for a router.

It will be pricey.

Have you looked at precut wooden or plastic sign letters?

I used 6" plastic sign numbers and mastic on the front door almost 50 years ago.

As far as I know, they are still in service.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Choose an appropriate font, print the numbers out in the size you need, glue the paper to some masonite, take your jigsaw, and cut them out. You now have templates.

Reply to
J. Clarke

If you're anywhere near Taft, CA (Bakersfield area) you're in luck. Go see Gunner. He can either produce templates (or numbers) for you (for pay, please) or sell you the extra Gorton Pantograph mill he has for sale. Times are tough, so he can use the ducats.

-- Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens. -- Epictetus

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I knew that you must be a hermit. Havn't seen the outside of your front door in 50 years...

Reply to
CW

he still has that nice boat he is building in the basement. :-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

I did that once in MS-Word, it let me spread my letters across 30" in a gentle arc and print it in 3 pages. I was able to effortlessly "test-fit" until it was just the size and look I wanted. Of course, reviewing the orginal question, my letter were not 4 or 6 inches, but only half that, so YMMV.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

On Sunday, March 27, 2011 5:13:37 AM UTC-7, J. Clarke wrote: [templates for router signmaking]

I second this. For the glueing, I'd wipe the masonite with white glue, and after it dries iron on (with a bit of aluminum foil between the iron and the paper) the print.

To get slightly fancier, a plunge router with a collar guide will require a bit oversize cutout of the template.

To get a lot fancier, there are X/Y router gizmos for sign shops that do it all in software.

Reply to
whit3rd

------------------------------ Hasn't been my house in over 20 years.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I wanted to make custom address signs for friends and neighbors but do need to have min. 4" numbers although names, etc., can be smaller.

Plan B is to make my own templates on the scroll saw and make my own jig to hold them together. More trouble, nusance, but probably more rewarding when the task is done.

Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
Ralph Compton

Rockler 4" Interlock Signmaker's Number Templates. Item # 31093 at $29.99.

Reply to
Nova

Well here are 4" router templates

PV

Reply to
-MIKE-

And your point is?

Reply to
PV

If this is a one shot project, you can print letters any size from a word processor program. Glue the printout to plywood and cut it out. Set the word processor to do an outline of the font and it will be easier to cut.

Also see:

and

wb8nbs

That's not clear enough for you? :-)

The results look cheap and juvenile. Maybe it's the font they used for the templates. The examples in the images don't exactly portray "master woodworker" to me. More like 4H project.

Reply to
-MIKE-

yes, that's pretty much what I was looking for. Thanks.

Reply to
Ralph Compton

does this address your need for 6" letters?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It doesn't, but getting the 4" is at least heading in the right direction. And I am greatful for responses that point me in the right direction. Too many newsgroups are not helpful at all, this one seems to be populated with much more helpful people. But then, I have observed that woodworkers do seem to be helpful people.

Reply to
Ralph Compton

---------------------------- SFWIW, federally documented boats are required to use 6" block letters for the vessel name and 4" block letters for the hailing port.

You might want to check with a sign shop or the gov't body to determine required font.

Since you seem to have a scroll saw, making you own may not be such a big deal.

1/4" Birch ply with a couple of coats of shellac would make some neat templates, IMHO.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett