3D Printing

Page 2 of 2

I have a Makerbot Thing-o-Matic. Very real. I'm building a 3D scanner, so I will soon have a 3D photocopy system...
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 12, 12:49 am, Dave Balderstone

What file format will you be able to export? How big an object will you be able to scan?
Add pictures here
✖
In article

For the printer, export as .stl, and then the printer s/w converts to gcode for output. I'm not about other formats at this point, as I'm still acquiring the pieces I need and haven't looked at the software (Meshlab).
According to the documentation "Meshlab is capable of exporting the watertight mesh into a variety of file formats such as .STL, .OBJ, .PLY, .3DS and .U3D among others. This makes it a great tool for converting your mesh into a format that can be imported into a 3D modeling program such as 3D Studio Max, Silo 3D, Blender or to integrate your file into .PDF file using Adobe Acrobat 9."
As for size I think "that depends". I've seen sample scans of people's heads, and from the waist up.
The kit I'm playing with is "experimental".
You can follow the links from here <http://store.makerbot.com/makerbot-3d-scanner.html if you weant to poke around and see what other folks have been doing with it.
Add pictures here
✖