220VAC Wiring question

How wiring is done in deepest Pennsyltucky:

Bo, who just cobbled onto the knuckle and tube that is running in the basement of his house to create a 110 outlet for his garage/shop,

"Did she fire up?"

The Code Inspector, from two townships over, where they actually have heard of the Code:

"..."

Yessir, the real world is deeper'nshit.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

I can confirm that the Chicago code bears little-to-no resemblance to the NEC. And, I've been in an argument with an electrical inspector there, over code-compliance. And *won*.

The Chicago code is obnoxiously restrictive in some respects -- even the _telephone_ wiring has to be in conduit! And, it is a *swamp* to wade through.

Some section says "you can't do this", but something else, many _pages_ away says "that section doesn't apply *IF* these conditions are met". BUT there is yet another section that says "that exemption doesn't apply under _these_ conditions". etc., etc., ad nauseum.

And they're _all_ 'backward' references -- there's nothing at the "you can't do this" section that contains _any_ reference to those other 'special case' situations. Gotta read *everything* to have any idea of what you can/cannot do in any specific situation.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi