Conduit for thermostat wiring?

Low voltage wire does not need protection inside a wall.

Reply to
SQLit

Does the NEC require armored cable or conduit for a new thermostat run? I have to go through a wall into the utility room and about 3 feet horizontally to get to a box where the zone valve and thermostat wire meet.

Reply to
Stubby

replying to SQLit, Ben Bee wrote: Can you please cite any codes that say this?

Reply to
Ben Bee

You can go look it up in the NEC. Or ask yourself if you've ever seen a low voltage thermostat installed that used conduit or armored cable. I've seen plenty, including new construction, never once a conduit or armored cable. We don't even typically use that for 120/240V AC.

Reply to
trader_4

It is pretty common in commercial and they might require it in a mobbed up union city like Chicago or New York for residential. Chicago and New York traditionally required a metal wiring method for all residential wiring but I hear they may have softened up a bit. Chicago wanted EMT and New York leaned more towards AC cable.

Reply to
gfretwell

On line voltage thermostats it's not uncommon - but you don't see it on 24 volt stuff.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

We ran cat 5 and coax in conduit in commercial.

Reply to
gfretwell

We did inside steel stud walls

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I haven't seen wood in a commercial building in 40-50 years and it is used in most new residential down here. The only wood in the houses my wife built was in the load bearing walls of a 2 story and there were not that many 2 stories. In commercial the BICSI standard is 3/4 EMT for video, voice and data. The fire code calls for a metal wiring method for fire alarm and control wiring, typically MC cable.

Reply to
gfretwell

The units that use switching motors might help noise issue with conduit. My thermostat was radiating lots of noise. I cut down at source inside furnace using filters, even on AC feed. I still have some noise.

Greg

Reply to
gregz