220 electrical outlets?

Page 2 of 2
Water is a major component in the exhaust of a fossel fuel heater. No, you don't want ventless!!!!! I know guys who have them. In winter time EVERYTHING RUSTS!!!! Another poster mentioned through-the-wall venting. If you have a wall the is open to the outside world, this can be a good way to go. That way you don't have to worry about a hole in the roof. I just put one of those into my new woodshop. It is an in-wall mounted unit so it doesn't take up any floor space. Consider a counter flow model if you want a warmer floor. This kind sucks the air in about 5 feet off the floor, heats it and then sends out out at floor level. My new woodshop http://www.spaco.org/myshop.htm )
is 14 X 40 and they put a 45,000 btu wall furnace in my mistake. It's way bigger than I need. My other 2 shops total about 40 X 40 and are heated with a single 35,000 btu wall furnace and that's plenty. This one have been functioning well since 1992. This one had to be vented through the roof because its on a wall that has a room on the other side.
I know I've said this before on various newsgroups, but I don't recommend having a ceiling mounted heater. The older I get, the more heat I need down by my legs. I have a part time job where I work in a place that has one of those ceiling furnaces. It can be 90 degrees where my head is, but 45 deggrees at the floor. I think this becomes even more of an issue if you are going to keep the shop at a low temperature unlesee you are working in it.
dbomke wrote:

Which is why underfloor heating wins every time. Insulate to silly levels under the floor, in the walls and roof. Keep the concrete slab at around 15-17 deg C (58 - 63 deg F) and your toes keep warm, you avoid rust on all your tools and you don't sweat like a pig when you do any manual work.
I am getting to the point of deciding what type of heat to install in a new workshop. The shop is 30'x54' with 10' walls and will be insulated to R-20 in the walls and R-38 in the ceiling. I have natural gas available and am trying to decide between using one or two of the ventless "blue flame" gas units or a single ceiling mounted vented gas furnace. The ventless units would be less expensive and have a few other advantages, but I have heard that because they do not vent combustion air outside of the building they can lead to potential moisture problems. Is this an issues to be concerned about? The shop will be used for woodworking and fossil/mineral preparation so a moisture problem would not be good.
Thanks for any recommendations or advice any one has.
--
We have a ventless gas fireplace in our dining room. it came with the house.
When it gets really nippy out we light it.