* 2003 * The Year in Reviw

Page 2 of 2
brought forth from the murky depths:

You ARE going to repaint it from that oooooogly gray, aren't you? (lightly praying)

Will do. But I won't break it up into 3 short romps like some people I know recently did. ;)

Nappy Hoo Year, Y'all!
---------------------------------------------------------- Please return Stewardess to her original upright position. -------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!
(Larry Jaques) preys: You ARE going to repaint it from that oooooogly gray, aren't you? (lightly praying) <snip>
He is, I am technical consultant on the project, and the paint will be Krylon, and the color, Gloss Rubber Ducky.
JOAT Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. - Sir Winston Churchill
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 31 Dec 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKE /
brought forth from the murky depths:

Way freakin' cool, dude. JPGs at 11, I trust?
--- After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in? --Steven Wright http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
(Larry Jaques) preys: You ARE going to repaint it from that oooooogly gray, aren't you? (lightly praying) <snip>
He is, I am technical consultant on the project, and the paint will be Krylon, and the color, Gloss Rubber Ducky.
What he said, except for the gloss part and the Rubber Ducky part. Krylon is cool. One of the Milwaukee 5, 6, or 7 painted his R-D jointer in shop gray (grey, Luigi) with red knobs and cutter guard. Spiffy. I've just begun the general CLA so the choice of colors is still up in the air, although I'm leaning toward candy-apple baby-shit green.
Bob
Bob Schmall responds:

Used to have a friend with a '51 Ford convertible, painted baby shit green. This was about 2 years before candy apple glints got in everyone's eyes, I think. Flathead V8, steel pack duals, 3/4 race cam, over-sized carb, and still slower than a snail.
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker

(grey,
general
green.
still
Dam! Green! Well, maybe not B.S. green, just sorta medium/light green. Reminds me I didn't get any pics of my old boss' machine when he was here this Summer. Hope he lives long enough to bring it back up again. Custom made 3 wheeler - narrowed rear axle, unknown forks/handlebars(Henderson?), Ford *60* flathead V8, 3 speed tranny. Goes like stink, he's never had nerve enough to crank it wide open in 2nd!
Nahmie

(grey,
general
green.
still
Wait a minute, there. Didn't Ford come out with the OHV engine before that? Like, 1948? I was 6 at the time, so my memory isn't real clear. We had a '50 and my dad carried a spare fuel pump in the car for those special moments when you'd rather not be stranded 50 miles from home. Bob
Bob Schmall responds:

Nope. Flatheads to '53, OHV afterwards. I had my own '51 later, around '65 in fact, and Dad had a '54 when I got home from Kaneohe Bay on leave. Spent more time under that POS than I ever want to spend on any vehicle anywhere, swapping out rear ends and trannies. Shift linkage sucked. Engine was fine.
Oh, and my buddy's '51 was slow because it was a convertible. Dunno about now, but back in those days, convertibles had immense X members in the frame to prevent flex. Damned near double frame weight.
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker

eyes, I

and
that?
in
more
swapping
now,
OK, now I'm clear--Ford came out with the first new postwar V8 in '48, but upgraded to the OHV in '53. A friend drove his daddy's '54 with straight 6 and 2-speed auto and whipped a few unsuspecting butts with it. It stayed even with my dad's '59 V8 on Layton Avenue. Too bad our fathers died without knowing this--it would have made their lives much richer.
Hmmm...it seems that the year in review is now 1959. But I digress.
Bob
Bob Schmall writes:

Ah, that was the year I got to Kaneohe Bay and made Lance Corporal. Also learned that drinks that cost 75 cents at the Stork Club in NYC cost $2.10 at various bars in Waikiki. Great news for someone making a whole $98 a month after taxes.
Jeez. that was a looooooooooooooooooooong time ago.
Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker
... snip

All in all, 2003 was a good year. Woodworking wise:
1) I completed the cherry entry cabinet I had been working on for almost two years. 2) Built a quilt display case for my wife, and
In what started out as a simple change to improve sheet good storage in the shop, 3) Insulated and put up wall board in shop, 4) Replaced the single-bay garage door with a patio door and windows for improved lighting, 5) air-conditioned the shop, 6) got a good start on building storage drawers for under the workbench, I completed the top half of the drawers in the past 2 weeks and am well on the way to getting the lower drawer sets built.
Wishing everyone a happy new year and productive and enjoyable 2004!