1750 RPM Grinder & Chisel Sharpening

Page 2 of 2

Use the 1750 machine. As others have wisely said a light touch with short contact period will work fine. If you haven't already, you will soon learn with things are getting warm. Most tool grinding operations happen with very brief contact anyway.
Sharpening technology is like a lot of over shop techniques - there are thousands of ways to spend or save your money.
On 1 May 2005 14:55:09 -0700, "Never Enough Money"

Just one guy's opinion, but I sharpen my bench and lathe chisels on a regular old Delta bench grinder with the original wheels, and after a little practice, it has worked well for me for some time. I *do* dunk the chisels between grinding passes, and do *not* grind for as long as 5 seconds. With a slower speed, I'm sure you can keep the tool on the wheel a little longer, but with a standard grinder, one quick pass is all you get before quenching it, or you will burn the blade. A light touch and a bit of patience rules the day here, but it's certainly possible. After gettting the hollow grind in, I just touch it up quick on my whetstones, and they're plenty sharp for me.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam