14" bandsaw, can't decide

Page 2 of 2

check out the grizzly g0444.

"Genedoc" wrote in message

Damn cryin' shame! ... the last good 14" Delta bandsaw was the American made 14-299. If I were in the market today for a 14" bandsaw, I would either try hard to find a used 28-299, or go for something else.
Basically, Delta has turned to purveyors of shit .. makes you wanna cry out loud.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

I feel like I lucked out. I bought the non-x5 delta 14" band saw, the one with the aluminum wheels and the rounded base. Mine was straight and adjusted correctly right out of the box. The only problem I've noticed is that the blade detensioning lever bumps into part of the frame as you move it. It's sort of like they should have bent the lever out an inch or so. The lever kind of slips past it easily so it's not a problem. Just sort of a stupid design. After buying an 8" dj-20 copy jointer from grizzly, I'm really wondering why I should buy delta at all anymore. My griz jointer was literally perfect out of the box, and with a bigger motor and pedistal mounted switch, for half the price. Sounds like delta is the new craftsman.
brian

Strange as it may be, I found that metals cast in Taiwan, China, Korea are just not very good compared to the US, German or Canadian-made metals (I don't know why). Today it is more difficult to find quality machines made in the USA due to all of the outsourcing. Sadly, manufacturing in the US can't compete with China. I have a grinder stand made in China--it's cheap for sure but does the job. I'd steer clear of a China-made machine, though.
says...

Taiwan is getting better, slowly, but Chinese steel is a shocker. I own a Chinese made stainless steel fish smoker, bought at a megastore. The thing rusted within 3 weeks, sitting on a shelf in a dry shed :-( just as soon as it was removed from the plastic bag with the desiccant. Every bit of Chinese steel I have owned has the average strength of tin foil and rusts like no other metal short of elemental Sodium. 2"x 8 gauge screws that snap their heads before they're half into the predrilled wood ...
Them Chinese must think we're really really dumb.
-P.
Peter Huebner wrote:

Or that's what the "value engineering" project manager specified.
Here in CT, we have a scenic railroad that runs a Chinese steam locomotive that's been "re-detailed" to look like old American iron.
The locomotive is 17 years old and has never failed to pass an FRA or insurance company inspection. It was purchased new in 1989.
"Peter Huebner" wrote in message

Nope ... it's the homeboy MBA's, lawyers and politicians who know you are.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
Swingman said:

Well, there is one small group of lawyers and politicians here in GA who are now unemployed as a result of their decision to mess with what they _thought_ was a dumb mechanic. Karma got them in the end. (That and a large quantity of pro se briefs and squeaking wheels...)
Sometimes, very seldom, mind you, they receive a rude surprise when stepping on someone who stands in their way. But they DO seem to be rude, arrogant, selfish SOB's with little to no discernable soul.
I haven't found a good solution for the "crap" products on the market, however - other than perhaps to roll your own and buy "vintage" goods.
And here I though I was the only suspicious, curmudgeon around here... (Although I tend to think of it as pragmatism.)
Greg G.
"Greg G." wrote in message

Damn ... guess I'm gonna have to get even more blunt. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
Swingman said:

No, you're OK. ;-) What strikes me most about my own encroachment into the realm of curmudgeon-ness is that is it provoked by the many lessons in life that proved that being a "nice guy" was far less effective or expeditious than being, as you put it, blunt. Give 'em an inch...
Greg G.

I am not defefending the grade stainless steel that they used but leep in mind that there are several grades of stainless steel and some will rust.

They may think that but if the product is marketed and or designed by an American company the Chinese are simply following orders. Who they build for dictates the quality and grade of materials used.

Mine was aligned out of the box too, and I don't have that problem with the lever - it *is* bent out an inch or so on mine. I do find it takes too much tension off leaving the blade flopping around if I just want to detension not change the blade, so I've taken to wedging a stick in between the casting to stop it near vertical.
-Leuf

I noticed it was loose also, but it hasn't caused me any problems. When I retension, it always goes back to tracking right on the first try.
brian

I like my Jet 16". Works very well, (with a new 1" - 3 TPI Lennox blade). smooth and easy to adjust. After changing blades, setting drift, it stays that way until I change blades.
Dave
Bought my Powermatic 14" at the show a couple years ago, smooth running machine. Sure beats my old `14"craftsman. I use a "Woodslicer" blade for re-sawing....great...and a 1/4" Timberwolf for general cutting, works for me. I thought about buying the riser, but so far, I haven,t needed it. I also like not having to buy $12 cool blocks all the time. My two cents........George

I've got the Delta 14". It has very good ratings, available parts, and popular. Certainly much better than average, and makes an accurate cut. If you can get a model made in the USA all the better. I have a mobile base and that makes it easy to move it around the shop. I've done resawing with it, but I don't have the riser block.

I have the delta and I like mine. I added a Kreg fence and did some general tune ups on the saw, switched the belt out for a link belt and added carter guides.