13" planers: Delta 22-580 vs DeWalt 735?

I'm already comfortable with the rave reviews the DeWalt 735 has received, but at $479 it's quite expensive. Right now the Delta 22-580 has a $50 rebate and I can get an additional $25 off through Amazon.com, making the total $305. There's free shipping on both.

What do people think of the Delta? It's tough to pass up this deal, but if the DeWalt is that much better I can wait.

Reply to
NoNameAtAll

I bought the Delta back in December from Woodcraft (for the same amount) and I love it...no snipe=no wasted wood!

Reply to
Blue

The Dewalt is getting rave reviews. I would love to have one. I ran into the same decision you did and had to budget myself. I got the 22-580 and I think its a great unit. I don't have snipe problems and the finishing setting is great. Ran a piece of ash through the other day. After my final pass to finish plane it to

3/4" I got curious. I wanted to see how close I was to 3/4", so I whipped out my caliper. It measured .755" or .005" wider than .750 (3/4). I can live with that. Besides all we really need the thing to do is plane. The 735 would be nice, but I doubt if I'll ever get one. I'm perfectly happy with the 22-580. I can make do without the extra bells and whistles. Both are good, I doubt if you'll be disappointed either way you go. Have fun shopping and let us know what you get
Reply to
Joseph Smith

I went with the DW735. It does a great job. Very well built, nice feel in the height adjust knob, no play at all. Glass smooth results. No snipe at all. Bright yellow/black paint job makes it tough to misplace in the shop.

I've not used the Delta, so can not comment on it, though those who have them seem happy with their performance. Look them over side by side, if you can swing the extra $$$ I think the DeWalt is worth the difference. Now that Xmas is past, and the newness of the DW735 has worn off a little, I think you will begin to see the price on the 735 start to edge down. My guess is that by summer you should be able to find them for $350-375.

DexAZ

Reply to
DexAZ