13" planer - delta 22-580 or dewalt DW735??

I'm looking for a new planer and have basically narrowed my choices down to these two. The dewalt has 3 blades and looks a lot heavier duty; the delta has two blades but two speeds also and is $115 cheaper (if purchased with the necessary dust collector attachment). Both planer rate very well, so i just can't make up my mind as to whether the dewalt is worth the extra $$ (I'll gladly spend it if the difference is substantial). Help would be appreciated--thanks.
Keith, I bought the DW735 to replace an older Delta planer, and couldn't be happier. Comparred to my old one the finish is much better, even as the blades wear, the maintenance is much easier, and the power seems to be plenty sufficient. I have used it enough to be on the second side of the blades that came with it, so maybe not a ton, but some.
I haven't looked back on that purchase even once.
Andrew

I'll second that -- replaced a Delta 22-560 with the DW735, and couldn't be happier. I agree with your comments in every respect. And I'll add one more: the DeWalt blades are much thicker and wider than the blades in the Delta 22-560 (not sure how those compare to the 22-580, though) -- enough so that the DeWalt blades can be resharpened (honed, actually) when they get dull. I'm still on my first set of blades, too -- but I've resharpened them three times, and they look like they have one or two more left in them.

Neither have I.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

A lot of people who have posted reviews on amazon complain that this planer's knives are too weak and lose their edge after a very short time of planing hardwoods, and begins to leave grooves in the wood. Have you experience this at all? thanks.

I find that the harder the wood, the better the surface it leaves. I *have* seen the planer leave some *ridges* (never grooves), but only when planing softer woods such as sycamore and pine. It leaves a beautiful finish on sugar maple.
--
Regards,

Dito with Apple, which I am doing now
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
i have used both as i am a profesional carpenter,i found dewalt weal so i when to a rigid very pleased. you get what you pay for in a planner TheKeith wrote:

I have the Delta and it is a very good planer. I'm not sure if the DW is worth the extra as I've not used it, but I'd sure consider it. How is the $115 going to affect you over the life of the machine? Ed http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/
TheKeith wrote:

ok i decided to go with the ridgid at home depot. It comes with a lifetime warranty, stand, extra set of blades, and a dust collector attachment--all for $350 plus tax. Great deal, and the planer works great!