12" powermatic TS

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my TS from a Delta/Rockwell 9" and I found a 12" Powermatic advertised (big leap up). The details 5hp single ph 240v, Bisy fence, cast iron extensions ,0 Clearance insert, dado blade& insert, mobile base. Used in a home builders cabinet shop, say's its in ex condition. I don't know how old. I googled and found very little on 12" PM TS but many happy PM owners. I'm going to look at it later this week and would like any tips on inspecting it, pitfalls to look out for ,ect. I will bring a dial indicator and ck runout, and I believe it's under power right now.

Thanks,

Andrew V

Reply to
Andrew V

Unless it's been sadly abused which I would doubt, just take $$ and big helper--the PM66 weighs a bunch and the 12" is probably 200lb more, maybe even more w/ the 5hp motor.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Sounds really nice!

Why are they selling it?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

They said that instead of making their own custom cabinets their going to buy them, so they no longer need as much shop equipment.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew V

As I said before, if it's in your price range, I'd suggest snapping in up...it'll be far more saw than you'll probably ever need, but there's no way you'll regret it.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

"Andrew V" wrote in news:4289e886$1 snipped-for-privacy@alt.athenanews.com:

I'd just be sure to check very closely regarding the power assumptions. Otherwise, these are great tools, for the commercial shop, and for the hobbyist.

Check the size of the arbor, too, and see if you can negotiate some of their old blades and maybe a dado set. I seem to think that at least one company's 12" version of their table saw used 1" arbors.

Our Adult Ed shop declined a Delta Crescent 12/14, and that was one of the reasons stated.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Patriarch wrote: ...

Those are good points...it's somewhat unusual for Powermatic to use 5 hp single phase, but I think it can be ordered that way. It will certainly be a 1" arbor.

One would hope that if they're selling it, they'd be willing to sell at least a few of the blades they used with it.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Even so, it's easy enough to get the blade(s) bored out for a 1" arbor. Most any machine shop can do that for you.

Reply to
musials

are manuals for the model 68 and 72 on that page

Reply to
musials

The 1" arbor size is true for almost ALL 12" saws. That's not a problem, since Freud and most of the other blade folks make and carry 1" arbors as "standard". Most, if not ALL 12" CMS are 1" arbor.

I would NOT pass by a decent PM-72.... That's a killer saw.

5HP single phase are rare but certainly can be found.

Patriarch wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

I took a look this morning it's a model 68 # 468076 I verified a 5 hp single ph and a 5/8's arbor. This saw rocks. It has a full length/width iron extention wing (the top of this saw must be an acre of cast iron), mobil base, custom out feed table. Insides reasonably clean and lubed, cuts nice ect. very smooth. He also has a planer(mod 180),Jointer 8" (model 60), morticer(mod 400) Tennioner(2A) all in good shape all single phase.What's a good price any sugestion's? (asking $2k for the saw and $1500 for the jointer) Looking around I get the feel the saw is @ a reasonable starting point but I think the jointer is way high.

Anybody buy/ sell recently? if it matters its in upstate NY(albany)

Thanks

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew V

The jointer is quite high. A brand new PM60A can be bought for around that price. PM has the new PM60B I assume made in Taiwan/China for just $1150. The PM60A and B look the same in pictures.

Do you really need a 12" saw? A brand new PM66 with 3HP motor can be bought for the same $2000. A 5HP version is $2300.

I'm not saying a brand new tool is better than old iron. Old iron can be better if it was well taken care of and not run into the ground.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Brian Elfert wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

The numbers seem big to me, too. I just bought a completely refurbed Delta/Milwaukee 8" jointer, w/60" or so of length, and paid a little under $800. In California. Reground everything to under .001. New blades, etc. From one of the fellows who hangs out electronically with Unisaw A100, (owwm.com) and is in my analog woodworking club. While I loved the price and the tool, this was an 'open market price' type of deal.

I doubt that there is any advantage to any hobbyist woodworker I know to having a 12"/5 hp saw, vs a 10"/3 hp saw, from the same manufacturer.

At $1500 for the saw, the price may be still a little rich. My opinion only.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I had the opportunity recently to buy a Delta DJ-20 for $750. It was supposedly in good condition, but I didn't go look at it.

I was really tempted, but I decided to pass because it would be almost impossible to get into my basement.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Patriarch wrote: ...

You didn't watch Tim Allen, did you? :)

To OP....if he's throwing in all the extras w/ the saw and you have the room, I'd go for it. My experience has been you'll never regret having too much tool, only too little. The 12" will do everything the 10" will do but will have capacity the 10" doesn't, obviously....so where's the harm if you can house it?

I'd die for the Model 180--had a chance way back when to buy one at $800, but $800 was a of money at the time...been kicking myself for not scraping it together ever since. :(

Reply to
Duane Bozarth