12" Planer vs 18" Planer

In a woodworking shop where the largest piece made is a dresser or desk, is there any significant advantage to an 18" planer over a 12"?
Please remove the spambusting 7, so my address is calbert at mchsi dot com
Thanks

I just measured the side panel of the dresser next to me. It is 17" wide. Since it won't fit through a 12" planer easily, the 18" may have some advantage. Of course, if you have a 48" wide belt sander, it does not matter.

Not a lot of domestic wood in dimension over 10" any more, and, as Ed said, after glueup it can be sanded.
Gee, I have a shop full of 12-20 inch walnut, local cut. I'm sure not ripping it just to plane. 16" jointer, 18" planer.
--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com