110, 220, 208 Volt Electrical Outlet Question

It all depends on the AHJ. 220 V receps inside house need a neutral, 220 outside such as in a garage don't need neutral per the building inspector here in Phoenix and that only covers new installations. Existing 220V still only requires 2 hot and a ground.

Gary

Reply to
GeeDubb

If I remember correctly, 208 volts is derived from two legs of a 120 volt, three phase supply. 208 = (120) (sqrt 3)

Joe

Reply to
Joe

My bad, the stated voltage is the maximum pole to pole voltage

For those interested, the diagram at the bottom of the page details this.

BruceR

They test at around 240

Reply to
LostInSpace

> -Bruce

Reply to
LostInSpace

You stated in another post that you have ~240V line-line. Assuming it has the correct plug/receptacle combination, it sounds like you should be good to go.

Al Reid

Hey! don't go off topic here! ;)

Yes you can. If you measure 240 then as long as you TS is wired for it you are all set

-Bruce

Reply to
BruceR

Do you mean the safety 'green' wire? That's highly dangerous as well as illegal... could put power anywhere because of the water pipe grounding. There was a case here of some ones house going on fire because of excess ground current in a neighbors house!! For some reason, probably linked to the electric company location of their ground, the current found its best path thru the ground leads of the next house, and the attic caught on fire where the leads entered the house.

I talked to a company engineer, and he said they detected 70 amperes of 'lost' ground current in one of their feeds!!

You should re-wire it with the proper 4 wire connector...

Reply to
Bob Flint

Out of phase is as good and reasonable a description as anything else.

Reply to
Roy Smith

You breaker box bus bars are designed so that every other slot going down each side are on alternate busses. Go to your local Home Depot or whatever and look at one of the circuit breaker panel boxes on display. Once you see one opened up and empty, it'll all make sense.

Reply to
Roy Smith

What's the number? I'm guessing from your description that it's a

6-15R? If so, that's exactly what you need for plugging a typical 3HP 220V cabinet saw into.
Reply to
Roy Smith

Reply to
mkochsch

Yep 6-15P. It worked. Thx.

Reply to
LostInSpace

I'm an electrician living in Canada. Pay attention to that.

120V=115V=110V. These are the same voltage. Single phase. Used in a house, everywhere.

220V-240V are the same. Single phase also. Used only for bake oven and dryer

208V is the voltage of a 3 phase circuit. I suggest you go outside and check out the wire(s) that connect your house.

If the wire has 3 wires, 2 black cover wires and an uncovered aluminum ground wired, it is the single phase one 120/240. Every house has this one.

If the wire has 4 wires, 3 black cover wires and an uncovered aluminum ground wired, it is the 3 phase voltage 208V.

You can have both of them connected to your house. It is rare but it can happen. Pay attention to that.

Also, you can't replace 208V by 220V. It's not the same thing at all.

I suggest you call someone who knows well electricity (an electrician) before attempting to do something with it, if you don't want to burn any electric things.

Cool

Reply to
Cool

Hmm, usually when they speak 208 they are talking 3-phase. Don't usually see this in a house. Well unless your in Barcelona and then it's 280 with the usual brown out :)

Reply to
markm

Lost,

The bus bars kind if zig zag inside the pannel so that adjacent slots (one over the other), by design, connect to apposing bus bars.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M