10 versus 14 degree dovetails

hello,
what is the difference between 10 and 14 degree dovetails (appart from the angle), why choose one rather than the other?
I am asking because I just discovered that my dovetail bit (Woodcraft $5 on sale bits) is 10 degree but that the only butterfly/spine bit (freud) is 14 degree....
do you know of any 10 degree butterfly/spine bit?
cyrille
cyrille de brebisson wrote:

The steeper angle is typically used in softer woods such as pine, the more shallow in hard...
As for the availability question, no I don't have a source otomh...
cyrille de brebisson wrote:

The harder timbers have shallower pitches softer timbers have deeper pitches
If your using a hardwood that is quite soft (many deciduous timbers are softer than coniferous timbers its better to use a deeper pitch )

"cyrille de brebisson" wrote in message

on
14
If you're using a dovetail jig, be aware that the depth of cut is usually different for each angle ... this can be very important when cutting half-blind dovetails!
10 degree bit: usually has a depth of cut of 7/16" 14 degree bit: depth of cut of is usually 5/8"
... be sure you consider this with regard to your stock thickness if you're cutting half-blind dovetails.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/8/07

Aesthetics.
10 degrees works just as well as 14 on softwoods. 0 degrees works fine -- aka box joint. Old ones seem to have failed at the same rate as dovetails.