0.012" runout - Ryobi drill press

Page 1 of 2
Bought a Ryobi 12" bench drill press this weekend. The runout, as measured with a blank reamer shaft is 0.012". Seems a little excessive to me. I think I'll return it to the store (HD). I do not think I am being unreasonable. Or am I??
Thanks, Bob
Don't know what you paid, but a review I recently read of 4 benchtop presses provided these measurements:
Bridgewood: 0.008" ($219) Powermatic: 0.004" ($350) Grizzly: 0.009" ($280) Jet: 0.008" ($319)
http://www.woodnet.net/toolreviews/drillprs.html#features
FYI
Brian.

.012 is more than I'd want on a drill press.
not sure you'd get any better on anything you can exchange it for at da borg though.

My drill press has a .001 runout.
Thanks for letting us know.

NO.
I"ve got a delta with no measureable runout on the 16 1/2" model. I forget the model number but it's the popular floor standing model they had out earlier this year, and prior.
plumb bob wrote: I do not think I am being unreasonable. Or

Seems to me Dave, that the last time this was discussed, it turned out your measurement tool was you eyeball. If you can't measure it, maybe me and my indicator should take a trip south. Only got to cover a state and a half. :)

when there is no visible runout, that's good enough for me, my cantankerous, ornery, argumentative friend. If something with a chuck spins dead accurately, I don't need to grab my dial indicator. I bought a Dewalt cordless drill with so much run out even you wouldn't have bothered with using a indicator on it; I merely returned it for a refund and got a Makita. I repeat, my DP has no "discernible" run out. is that more to your liking, rather than "measurable"? picky, picky, picky.
dave
CW wrote:

Yep. Meaningful run out can be easily seen.
> I bought

It happens.
>I merely returned it for a refund

As you should have.

No, you said that it didn't have any measurable run out. Obviously, I knew what you meant but the original poster, after seeing comments like that, could very well come to the conclusion that that is the way his should be. It is a rare chuck that shows no run out at all. In any case, for this type of measurement, I think your method is to be preferred. In many cases, a sensitive measuring instrument will give one something to worry about when it actually is of no consequence. The .012 measurement the OP got is rather excessive but usable. He will likely want to do better. It would also be clearly discernable by eye. I do have a collection of indicators due to professional need though I really use one in the woodshop. Seldom is it necessary.

CW - that's got to be your wordiest post, ever... :)
There has been times I've said far more than that but generally, it's not necessary to say much to get a point across.

true. :)
dave
CW wrote:

snip
:)

what's that game where you take turns placing your hands up a bat until there's no place else to grab onto?
dave
CW wrote:

This isn't it. make another post. It's yours.

"T." wrote:

Damn, reading this news group is a pain. Read something, run out to the shop and check, read something else, run out to the shop and check, repeat, repeat.
Well, I ran out to the shop to check my little HF $40 drill press. I thought it was excellent, little noise, no vibration, but obviously lacking power for big jobs. I hope I did this right, I put a 7/16 drill in the chuck, set the arm of the dial gage against the drill near the chuck, and rotated the motor to turn the drill. The range was 0.002 range.
There was a long thread about chucks falling out of drill presses and how to clean and put the chuck in. When I got my DP, I cleaned everything really well, stuck the chuck on the spindle, opened the chuck wide, put a board on the chuck, and gave the board a whack with a ball peen hammer. Like Greg O said, maybe a lot of runout is related to how well everything is cleaned before setting the chuck.
Well, that just goes to prove that you get what you pay for. Plumb Bob got 0.012 inch runout for $169, and I got 0.002 inch runout for $40. Hell, I paid $20 per thousandth runout and Plumb Bob only paid $14 per thousandth runout. Hell of a deal. How come I always get screwed.

he got more for his money 'cause he bought in bulk....     Bridger

My Jet had over .010 runout untill I remove the chuck an cleaned the taper. It is less than .001 now. It really sucked with the .010 runout. I would return it. GReg
Take the chuck off and mesure the spindle. Its probably the chuck. Most drill preses come with bad to lousy chucks A good one will cost more than you paid for your drill press.