You know you are getting old when..

Digital timer EF700ET setting proves to be beyond the capability of your brain:-(

We have one controlling a heat recovery system in a rented out flat. The tenants complained of mould on the walls so I was sent to check.

The system was running OK but I made the mistake of unplugging the timer to check the settings as the display was not showing the correct time. I now know that the back up batteries are expensive and have a limited life! The second mistake was pressing the reset button.

Progress so far... day of week OK, 12/24 hour OK, time of day OK.

Program setting total failure.

Program required on 7.30 off 22.30, 7 days.

Setting instructions from the net are much better than those supplied by Screwfix but still inadequate for a bear of little brain.

Help!

With the program mode active, ^ button or v the programming group is switched to their on/off state. Does this mean that ^ leading to 1 displayed and the lamp symbol on and the time *set* followed by v 9 down to 1 will give a second time setting opportunity?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It isn't simply because you're getting old. Instructions supplied with most devices these days are often incomprehensible for one or both of two reasons: First, the standard of written (and spoken !) English these days is dire, and second, instructions are not tested by getting ordinary members of the public, unfamiliar with the device, to try to follow them.

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

3rd reason. they are written by someone whose native language is not English.
Reply to
charles

Being a native english speaker is no guarantee of being able to write clear instructions.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

On Thursday 14 November 2013 13:00 RobertL wrote in uk.d-i-y:

ru dising mi inglish breds?wnka!!! dis lack respekt is to much from a so caled inglishman. com sayit to mi posse n see if u like havin no teeth

====

And if you do not believe me, look at the twitter timeline for anyone connected with EDL/BNP!

Reply to
Tim Watts

true - but a non-native speaker is also likely not to write proper english

Reply to
charles

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

No but it helps.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

4th reason: the instructions don't actually match reality. "Press the STORE button". What f***g STORE button??? mhas

jgh

Reply to
jgh