WTB: Parquet Flooring in 1960's dimensions

Hi,

My 1960's house has some parquet/woodblock flooring in several rooms.

Pic here

believe the generic style is called "finger basket". Each tile is approximately 11"/280mm square. I have no idea what the exact wood is.

In the 1980's the house was extended, and as a result one room is half parquet and half screed, and ever since has been carpeted.

I would like to reinstate the parquet, but am struggling to find any supplier of this pattern with the correct dimensions.

.....can anybody in uk.d-i-y land offer any pointers?

Vortex3

They're rectangular wooden blocks. Either buy larger blocks and get them retrimmed, get lucky on ebay, or pay a joinery shop to make them up for you.

The latter shouldn't be that extortionate for a few hundred blocks (beyond the timber costs) as it's a very quick to machine type task, thicknesser->table saw->chop saw.

The mismatch in the patina of age will show up though.

Reply to
dom

Er, don't you just need matching size individual blocks and lay them in that pattern... If you can't find them commercially any decent timber yard will make some for you.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

is a wondrous place to wonder around even if you don't find what you went in for :)

-
Reply to
Mark

Having spent the whole morning researching this, I have found that the specific size I want has not been manufactured for a very very long time.

Yes I could get some blocks custom made, but with an area of 10m^2. That's a big hassle.

I found a good alternate in a different size:

different size but I will have to live with it. Order imminent.

Vortex3

Suggestion but a fair bit of work.

Consider lifting the blocks from another small room to patch the extended room and relay the first room with new/reclaimed material of whatever size you can get.

We did something on similar line with roof times when the old house was altered. The front aspect looked like it had been there forever.

Reply to
1501