Worn Pestle Handle

Hi,

I have a pestle with a wooden handle with a thread that screws into the porcelain head.

Over time, the wooden thread has worn away and no longer holds the head in place. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fix this ?

I presume that some sort of glue is the appropriate solution. But given the materials to be joined and the intended use (i.e. foodstuffs) are there any glues that should be specifically avoided and any that can be particularly recommended ?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Gary.

Reply to
gary watson

| |Hi, | |I have a pestle with a wooden handle with a thread that screws into |the porcelain head. | |Over time, the wooden thread has worn away and no longer holds the |head in place. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fix |this ? | |I presume that some sort of glue is the appropriate solution. But |given the materials to be joined and the intended use (i.e. |foodstuffs) are there any glues that should be specifically avoided |and any that can be particularly recommended ? | |Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Plumbers ptfe tape, from DIY sheds and plumbers merchants everywhere, might well work, and come apart if it does not work

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Wood to ceramic is an easy one for any polyester or epoxy style two part glue. Its very gap filling. Its also almost totally inert

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Your teeth are also used to grind foodstuffs and you probably have a mercury amalgam filling or two.

I would coat the thread with Araldite. Its pretty inert when cured.

Reply to
Graham.

Araldite should be pretty durable, and non-tainting when firmly set.

Reply to
Steve Walker

If you use Araldite, put the whole thing in a bath of hot water, or a warm oven to set it quicker and better. I would tend to use car body filler as more sticky and harder setting, but epoxy will certainly work, Remove any surplus with a fierce organic solvent like acetone before it sets though.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher