[?] Worcester-Bosch Greenstar 30CDi - losing pressure (2023 Update)

We had a Worcester-Bosch Greenstar 30CDi boiler installed about six months ago. It is working generally fine but I've noticed that about every couple of weeks the last radiator in the system makes slight gurgling noises and needs to be 'bled' to let out some air. As a consequence of doing this ( I presume), the boiler's water pressure drops slightly because I then have to readjust it back to its normal one Bar level.

Is a pressure drop with time something to be expected of a system such as ours or is the air that gets into the radiator an indication that there may be a leak in the system somewhere? Should I be concerned and, if so, what is the best course of action for me to take?

Before the boiler was commissioned the installer filled the entire heating system with a chemical which was left overnight and then flushed out the next day until the water coming out was completely clean.

The central heating pipework in this house is at least 40 years old so I'm wondering if this treatment could have caused pinholes to develop in one or more of the joints. Since the leak, if there is one, is so slight (at the moment), I'm inclined to do nothing at the moment except to keep an eye on the system, but I'd really appreciate hearing any comments from the experts in this NG.

Many thanks, and a Happy New Year to all.

TIA - Dave.

Reply to
David Chapman

A slight pressure drop over time in a boiler system is not uncommon, and it may be caused by various factors such as air in the system or minor leaks. It's important to keep an eye on the pressure and bleed the radiators as needed to maintain the proper pressure.

However, if you are noticing frequent pressure drops and needing to bleed the radiators often, this could be an indication of a more significant problem such as a leak in the system. In this case, it would be best to have a professional technician come and check the system for leaks.

From an economic standpoint, it may be more cost-effective in the long run to address any potential leaks now rather than waiting for them to worsen and cause more damage to the system. The cost of a technician's visit to check for leaks would be much less than the cost of repairs or replacement of a damaged boiler.

As a DIY homeowner, you can also try to locate the leak yourself by checking the joints and connections of the system, and looking for any visible signs of leaks such as water stains or drips. If you do find a leak, it is best to call a professional to repair it.

It's worth noting that the fact that the central heating pipework in your house is at least 40 years old, it's possible that some of the joints and pipes may have become corroded over time and may need to be replaced.

To better understand and troubleshoot the issue with your Worcester-Bosch Greenstar 30CDi boiler losing pressure, you can consider the following steps:

  1. Check the pressure gauge on the boiler: Make sure that the pressure gauge is reading within the normal range, usually between 1-1.5 bar. If the pressure is below the normal range, you'll need to add water to the system to bring it back to the normal range.
  2. Bleed the radiators: If you hear gurgling noises or if one or more radiators are not getting hot, you'll need to bleed the radiators to let out any trapped air.
  3. Check the expansion vessel: The expansion vessel is responsible for maintaining the proper pressure in the system. If the pressure in the expansion vessel is too low, this could be the cause of the pressure drop.
  4. Check for leaks: Look for visible signs of leaks such as water stains or drips around the boiler or around the radiators. If you suspect a leak, it's best to call a professional technician to fix it.
  5. Check the system's valves: The valves in your heating system may not be functioning properly, which can cause pressure drops. Check the valves and make sure they are open and working properly.
  6. Check the pump: The pump is responsible for circulating hot water through the system. If the pump is not working properly, this can cause pressure drops.

By following these steps, you can get a better understanding of the issue and determine if it's something you can fix yourself or if you need to call a professional technician. It's important to keep in mind that working on a central heating system can be dangerous and if you're not comfortable with handling it yourself, it's best to consult a professional to avoid any potential damage or injury.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor

Have a Magnaclean fitted on the CH return pipe to the boiler. De-sludger will not remove all the sludge. If there X-400 inhibitor in the system?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

A leak should be fixed, it could be the boiler and be under warranty. For Autos there is flourescent dye you can add to the cooling system, a high intensity Black Light is used to pinpoint the leak. I am sure it is done for boilers. I would want to know what was leaking, especialy if it was the boiler. Is there a water auto feed, How much water is it loosing, what is boiler pressure cold and hot, Does pressure increase with temp or is the relief valve wet indicating it releases. it could be alot of things, even a loose radiator valve.

Reply to
ransley

Take a look at the Sealed CH FAQ. You might have a tiny leak that is letting air in. You could try a slightly higher pressure to start with say 1.25 bar.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Many thanks to those who took the time to reply to my posting. Your comments were much appreciated.

Happy New Year.

- Dave

Reply to
David Chapman

Only 14 years this time.

Reply to
farter

<snip>

As a self professed “advisor” for HOH I would have expected you to be smart enough to recognise that you’re replying to a 14 year old question.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

HomeOwnersHub Advisor snipped-for-privacy@example.com posted

How does one do that? Do expansion vessels have their own gauges?

Reply to
Algernon Goss-Custard

How do these things end up in here?

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

HOH chooses to post them to usenet.

Reply to
chop

No, they have compressed air at a certain pressure. As the water expands, the pressure doesn't go mad, it just squashes the air a little .Because the compressibility of air is about 20,000 times more than that of water.

And that is enough to keep the pressure of a hot and cold boiler within half a bar or so.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I get the impression that someone is playing with ChatGPT or some other AI text generator. All the posts have the same feel to them - very general "not even wrong" content.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, but how do you check if the pressure in the expansion vessel is too low? I ask because the manual for my own boiler suggests it as one of the possible causes of a failure-to-ignite fault that has been occurring recently.

Reply to
Algernon Goss-Custard

I think you're right. A similar structure, quite well constructed and generally correct but not quite specific enough. We'll all be redundant after a couple more iterations :-( .. but someone will still be needed to turn the spanner to tighten the nut that the AI has identified as needing turning (apply this to any area)

Reply to
nothanks

Yup perfect typing, and lots of semi formal "support agent" style boiler plate wrapped round stuff (like carefully quoting the full subject each time). The answers built on a database of knowledge, but not actually displaying any understanding of the reasons for the "advice" it gives.

Like check the "valves" - yes, well which ones and why? As written you could be encouraged to look at the three port valve, which is unlikely to be a cause of a leak. Checking that the overpressure blow off valves is not operating (plastic bag over the outlet pipe), would however indicate that the pressure vessel has failed or needs recharging and as a result the system is venting water each time it gets hot.

"Check the pressure gauge on the boiler: Make sure that the pressure gauge is reading within the normal range" - well of course it is not reading within the right range - why the kin eck do you suppose the question was asked in the first place?

"As a DIY homeowner, you can also try to locate the leak yourself...." "If you do find a leak, it is best to call a professional to repair it" kind of not understanding what DIY is...

Pump not working correctly causing pressure drops? Again not exactly wrong - but missing a whole lot of nuance[1] or even how you would check the pump.

[1] some boilers with more advanced control systems may complain of low pressure a the pump output - nothing to do with primary system water pressure, but a failure to sense a pressure change when the pump starts possibly indicating pump or sensor failure, or some kind of blockage.
Reply to
John Rumm

With a tyre pressure gauge.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Also, bleed of some system water pressure first - that way you are measuring only the pressure in the vessel.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com, Algernon Goss-Custard snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com writes

Tyre pressure gauge?