Wooden worktops

Anyone able to offer tips on buying / fitting wooden worktops for my kitchen. I've got two straight runs one of 3.4m one of 2.1m - the 3.4m run will have an undermounted sink + hob cutout, also some of those cutout slots for a draining board (I guess they need routing somehow). I like Iroko or Oak - Cheapest blanks I've found so far are 510 for 650mm wide 40mm thick tops from thehardwoodfloorstore.co.uk - these use 40mm wooden stave construction.
I've not fitted worktops before so any advice appreciated.
On 29 Sep 2003 15:16:59 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@zen.co.uk (Jon Brooke) wrote:

Avoid oak. You're pretty much guaranteed to get "iron stain" problems from something. Maple or a tropical (teak or iroko, which is cheaper) would be better, IMHO.
-- Smert' spamionam
Jon Brooke wrote in message ...

the blade. I found Ikea beech very sticky. Also, be very careful with the layout. With separate taps and sink you can end up with very little room for error.
stuart noble wrote:

What I used was a jigsaw, a straight edge and a deep router bit. Jig roughly to size, then use a single pass of the router at full depth to plane the edges square.
I used a belling router bit with a ball race to get curved edges.
A good sand and several coast of Danish Oil has provided a more resliient surface than I expected - on oak.
I used a LOT of clear silicone on top of the belfast to seal that as well. Didn't bother with routed drain slots. Just wipe it into the sink. Its fine. SWMBO is muutering about inset slate drainers, but she can sodding well wait for that :-)
Did two right angle joins - in the end, just butt jointed - before routing the bevelled edges. Looks tidy. Bevel the underside front edge before fittong, but the top last of all.
Butt joints were done with glue, and plates screwed underneath,

Where did you get your wood, and how much did you pay?
Jon Brooke wrote:

I got my worktops via arena kitchens - its not actually FROM them - they are sort of online brokers - can't remember the price but try www.arena-kitchens.co.uk from memory.

sounds expensive, unless that is for the whole lot and not lengths ...... also check here; http://www.clarkswood.com/worktops/worktops.htm
Iroko 40mm 4.2m x 650mm 295.00 Oak 40mm 4.2m x 650mm 330.00
iroko dust is an irritant to both skin and respiration, so wear a dustmask or better still a respirator when routing. a jig for sink drainer is relatively simple; you use a ball groover and a guide bush ....... and you construct a jig out of ply or MDF strips that has the right size gap for the bush a support strip screwed at right angles at the bottom of both ends, the bottom strip thickness is what decides the fall of your drainer, one end rests inside your sink cut out, the other end sits on the worktop and that gives you the fall, clamp in place, set your depth on the router and rout away. Spacing of the strips gives you the spacing of the drainer channels
Cheapest blanks I've found so far are 510 for

thanks for taking the trouble to respond. I just want to make sure I'm not missing some bargain supplier that everyone except me knows about. Anyone else got a favourite supplier. I'm near High Wycombe if anyone knows one in this neck of the woods.
Cheers
Jon

pounds for 3 metres by 600mm.
Yes, here you go:- http://www.albatops.co.uk/acatalog/Albatops_Select_Rubberwood_43.html
They do other woods as well, delivered to my house etc. etc.

try howdens, MFI trade
--
regards
Dave Batter
Jon Brooke wrote:

Not sure if this helps but IKEA should be getting delivery of its OAK worktops in 3 weeks time. 186mm costs about 80 and 246 about 120. From memory it's 606mm x 38mm.
-- Chris Spyrou numero communications limited