Woodburners & flues

That is unusually small. 8" is normal.

Reply to
harry

They need a fan because the flue gases have no buoyancy, they are so cool, especially in condensing boilers.

Reply to
harry

snipped-for-privacy@sylva.icuklive.co.uk posted

The October 2010 edition of part J (on p.30, Table 2 "Size of flues in chimneys") says a 125 mm flue is acceptable for closed appliances which meet the requirements of the Clean Air Act when burning bituminous coal or wood. I assume this means DEFRA approved stoves?

Reply to
Big Les Wade

That's good, my 2002 version only allows for bitumous coal. I've downloaded the 2010 edition and you are right, a 125mm flue is allowed for a woodstove up to 20kW if it meets the requirements of the clean air act.

AJH

Reply to
news

I said. "quote"

The fan in most gas gas boilers is working on a mixture of gas and air. "Unquote" Anything elsewasnot saidby me.

Reply to
harry

Its still incorrect

Reply to
geoff

Doing one or the other is very important if you have buildings insurance...

If you have a fire, the insurance company can use the lack of appropriate certification from either HETAS or building control approval to refuse your claim.

I recently got a wood burner. When I looked into the installation costs for both routes, there was not a lot of difference in the costs.

Wood burners are heavy, and need 2 men/women to lift them. So in the end I paid the extra 10 quid for a HETAS man rather than self install & council building regs for the sake of not damaging my back.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen H

how would they know to ask for certs?

I suspect you didn't look hard enough - what did your man charge?

larger ones can be heavy yers... haven't you got any friends?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K