Woodburners and CO dectectors

I have not had a lot to do with either but I seem to recall that instalation of a CO detector is a building regs requirement when a woodburner is installed.

Is it?

The main reason for asking is I am 3/4 of the way through a rewire and if it is a requirement then owner would prefer the CO detector to be part of the interlinked smokes and heats I am fitting.

Cheers

Reply to
ARW

Since 1/10/2010 apparently.

Not sure it can be. Apparently it has to be battery operated. Which sounds stupid.

Steve Firth

Reply to
S Viemeister

Most definitely not so stupid but Steve's link lead me to

a mains powered CO detector with battery back up is OK.

Reg 2.35.

All is now answered and the customer will be happy to pay a little extra for the mains powered with battery backup interlinked detector. The customer might still see his arse when he see how much plaster fell from the wall when I chiseled out for a double socket (ie most of the plaster on the wall within 6 ft of the socket).

Reply to
ARW

wasn'mt in 2002 when mine went in

If its a small thing to add, add it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Does your contract not require you to 'make good'?

Reply to
GB

Eeek!

Reply to
S Viemeister

Contract? On this job?

He is a scouser and we shook hands - that's good enough for me. The deal was he paid for the plasterer.

If he does not like it then he will get this in his inbox:-)

ARW

We had a woodburner put in in Jan this year and a battery operated CO detector appeared to be mandatory.

Reply to
Tim Streater

His "new" house has a big damp problem. Blown plaster everywhere and some very odd extentions and additions. The garage is built on top of what I believe is an air raid shelter.

Reply to
ARW

So you did him a favour, removing all that old plaster...

Reply to
S Viemeister

I am not familiar at all with this, but:

PLEASE NOTE: The Detector must have a sealed long life battery. You cannot install a standard Detector that has replaceable batteries.

seems a bit odd.

Reply to
Davey

Anyone removing the wallpaper would have done the same thing to the plaster.

The plaster is knackered and the wallpaper held it up.

Reply to
ARW

The sensor element of a CO detector has a limited life. If you could replace the batteries people would and long after the sensor had died...

I think some CO detectors can also detect when the sensor has died but they can also be "poisoned" by household chemicals, whether that can be detected I don't know.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've had to deal with a few walls like that. Messy, and no fun at all.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Yes that was the bit I found stupid, that and the implication that it could only be battery. However Adam did a bit more work and resolved that one.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes, that's what I'd say as well :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

It's because the world is full of morons who remove the batteries from safety equipment in order to use them in other stuff. Personally, I think the world is better off without such people, but the PTB appear to differ. But as a result, we all suffer, because the sensible people have to expend more time, effort and money to prevent the morons from killing themselves.

Reply to
Huge

The issue is probably more about protecting innocent bystanders. You can bet that the idiot who removed the battery will not be at home when the CO leak happens, and other occupants will be the ones to suffer.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Good point, although I don't actually have much of a problem with eliminating the moron's entire family. But I suppose there might be visitors in the house (social workers, policemen, neighbours, drug dealers, etc.)

Reply to
Huge