wood screws unusual sizes

Where can I get trad slotted woodscrews size 14 x 1 1/4 inch brass or steel?
cheers
Jacob

I don't think you will. The aspect ratio makes it a nonsense. A 1 1/4 inch thread in wood is not capable of using the strength of a 10 gauge, let alone a 14 gauge screw. I have only seen them used on lengths longer than 4".
Why on earth do you need it? Is it to replace a very old screw, or do you want a large head diameter?. If the latter than use brass cups on a smaller gauge screw, or recessed cups if you need a flush finish.
Dave

FWIW Nettlefolds did make screws in the size 1 1/4" x 14, I know this for a fact because I have a box of 144 made by them I also have Nettlefolds screws in 1 1/2" x 14, 1 3/4" x14, 2" x 14 and 2 1/4" x 14. I got them from a factory at Kingham (Oxon) when they closed about 10 years ago they used them in the assembly of farm elevators, the screws are quite old as they stopped making elevators 50 years ago! interestingly the screws are still in brand new condition.
John. :-)
I want them for restoration of a chapel door. They are for fixing the fancy cast-iron false hinge plates. There a lots of similar situations where odd screw sizes are needed inspite of earlier comments - mainly restoration work on period joinery/furniture/boats/carriages etc etc. I think I've found some 14 x 1 1\2 brass, so these will do if I can't get the right ones.
cheers
Jacob
snipped-for-privacy@jpbutler.demon.co.uk (jacob) wrote in message

Hi
If your screws are going into pre-existing holes, you could get longer 14 ga screws and saw the ends off. Dont use cutters, use a saw, then file. Very slow but for one off restorations its quite tolerable.
Regards, NT