Wood-burning stove refurbishment

My wood-burning stove's door has started leaking air so that the fire roars away even with everything shut. I know how to replace the rope but the glass has no gasket (the stove was in the house when I bought it) and probably doesn't need one (there's no groove). The glass is held in by 4 bits of metal held on by screws.

Should I put a bead of the rope cement in before re-installing the glass or what?

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Make and model of stove?

On our Stockton has a similar arrangement and a quick look suggests that there is nothing major between the glass and the metal.

Are the doors, perhaps, a little warped?

You may be able to find a manual for your stove on line.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

I THINK that my highwayman has a sort of sticky backdeed gaskety that came with the new glass..and the new clips I needed - or its a regualr spare part anyway.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ah

e.g.,

The Natural Philosopher

I had a lid to body gap which opened up because of distortion, easily cured with a bit of fire cement. You might just about get away with silicone here, I'm about to fire mine up and will get the IR thermometer out.

Reply to
newshound

Our Stockton has a small bit of rope between glass and metal. Approx

5 mm wide but that is compressed. The glass held in place by two short bits of metal and screw on the hinge side and a long bit of metal and three screws down the edge that forms the center of the two doors.

I'd be sort of surprised if there is no seal at all between glass and metal. Doesn't rope cement cure to somthing hard and brittle? I'd expect the differential expansion of metal v glass to cause problems if the two were stuck together.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The door is typically around 200 C when it is running reasonably warm, with peaks up to about 230 C. So I would expect ordinary bathroom silicone to be fairly effective. It won't retain its resilience as it degrades and I would expect it to lose some volume and become harder or powdery with time, but it would probably be an effective gap filler for one or more seasons. I tend to replace door seals every three or four years or so, depending on use.

Reply to
newshound

On Wednesday 06 November 2013 22:28 newshound wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I would use the correct stuff:

(You can also get flue sealant that goes to 1250C but as you say the door will be a lot cooler).

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's nicely packaged but it is probably the exactly the same as "bathroom" stuff at half the price

Reply to
newshound

On Thursday 07 November 2013 13:29 newshound wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I'm pretty sure the 1250C stuff isn't! But how can you be sure about the

300C stuff? For a few pounds I wouldn't worry...
Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes, I think I'll go for that.

My problem is that the maker went bust years ago but that looks like it'll solve the problem. It hasn't had any seal round the glass since before I bought the house so anything is better than that.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

The 1250C stuff won't be silicone, it will be some sort of fire cement.

Since I always have bathroom silicone in stock, and I can't see even a big stove needing a whole tube, I'd save my money!

Reply to
newshound

Another Dave grunted in news:l5dvo2$kd$1@dont- email.me:

Sorry, a bit late to the party but you maybe you could try

I've never actually used them as such but I found them online about a year ago when I was considering refurbishing a stove (in the end I scrapped the thing and started again). The proprietor and I exchanged several emails and he sounded really helpful.

Reply to
Lobster