Wood burning stove - anyone any experience of Country Kiln?

Country Kiln cast iron stove at £299 + £35 delivery seems amazingly cheap for an 8kW stove.

A 2 door 8kW Stovax Stockton (which we know to be a good brand) is around £800 including delivery which is a lot more.

However saving over £450 is not worthwhile if the product is crap.

So does anyone have any experience of Country Kiln stoves?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

The expensive part of a woodburner is installing a suitable flue.

Thats this year.

Next year it will be finding the wood.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep. Quotes for installing the required flue and parts for our thatched house varied from =C2=A31100 to =C2=A34000, and that was without the stove.= The flue is still legal for an open fire, however. Ouch! Instead, we now have a Chimney Balloon up there, which provides no heat, but stops the cold air coming down. It also quietens the noise of the doves sitting on top.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

..errrr....O.K. - assume that I have some idea of the cost of installing a flue, and also that the cost will be roughly the same which ever stove I buy.

Do you have any experience of Country Kiln stoves?

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Hi, a friend of mine has had one for a couple of years now, fantastic and no problems.

I am ordering one from them soon(ish).

For =A34000 you can have a chimney built!!

Kevin

Reply to
Leaky

Thanks - good to know someone has had a good experience with them. They do seem amazingly cheap and there also seems to be a sale on. Will talk to them tomorrow.

We will be having a stainless steel flue up through the roof - concealed where it passes through the upstairs bathroom - and hopefully costing nearer to £1,000. Takes up less space than a chimney and is more flexible with the routing between floors. This work we are planning will remove the remains of our chimney along with lots more internal walls and stuff.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

There is not a lot TO a wood burning stove really.

I've never found one that was UNfit for purpose.

If you like the style, go for it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Did they break your shift key, too?

Reply to
Huge

I'd assume there's no rules about what can be used ... Unless the people who make them from old gas bottle things and sell them on ebay comply with regs (I should probably go and read a listing to see what it says...)

Am too easily distracted by how to make one though

mogga

Posting in all capitals via DIY Banter doesn't add any credibility to this rather strange tale.

However this is unlikely to be a competitor for my rather shabby favours because the other firms I deal with are both long established and reputable (as far as I can tell). So probably this is just some sad person local to the supplier with a grudge.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

So, it seems, after all, you are the seller pretending to be a potential customer.

Reply to
Howard Neil

Ah - now I understand the misunderstanding. I think.

If you check back, I have been posting to this NG for many years (decades?) and have shown no inclination to advertise or sell cast iron stoves from somewhere in Scotland.

From my discussion and pictures of the construction of the Mother of All Sheds it is also probably evident that I am not located in Scotland.

And yes I am (as recent posts) having the back of my house remodelled.

So quite how you conclude that I am a stove retailer in disguise is beyond me. More research required, perhaps?

The other firms I deal with for solid fuel stoves are: (1) A stove place up the A12 past Yoxford whose name I keep forgetting but we bought a Tortoise style iron box on its side log burner ages ago for our previous house. (2) Fires Online, from whom we bought a Stovax Stockton 4 some years ago for our property in Thatcham. This was (and still is) a very good stove but is too small for the new room. I have discussed installing it in the MOALS in the past in this NG.

We were going to order a larger Stovax Stockton but I came across another online firm which was advertising amazingly cheap stoves. Possibly too cheap, as nearly everything seemed to be either £250 or £299 regardless of size or shape.

Which was why I posted a question here as AFAIK there are quite a few members of this NG with solid fuel appliances.

The cost of stoves has gone up a lot since I last bought one. In December 2006 our Stockton 4 multifuel cost £410 including VAT and delivery. Prices are now around the £600 mark. I presume this is due to the escalating price of iron and steel.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Precisely. I wouldn't pay any attention to anything posted like that.

Reply to
Huge

gas bottles on Youtube and E-bay. Country Kiln aren't listed in the Hetas guide, but then only 3 manufacturers of stoves are; I'm not sure what that tells you. Most of the wood-stoves I've seen are mock-Victorian cast iron jobs, which I find deeply strange. The Victorians used grey cast iron because it was cheapest for them and they had thousands of foundries doing sand casting and belching black smoke. It is not much used now because it is as brittle glass and there is better stuff available for those who know what they're buying; ductile cast iron (requires a half- modern foundry) and welded steel. Most of these things seem to be sand- cast iron from some Chinese or Indian foundry.

This is DIY; gas bottle, angle-grinder, arc welder.

Reply to
Onetap

though

Agreed. My Villager stove seems part cast and part steel welded.

For sure I have had cast iron firebacks crack on me.

But again, its always been conventional to line stoves with firebricks - at least the ones I have seen do that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
*Hi, a friend of mine has had one for a couple of years now, fantastic *and no problems.

*I am ordering one from them soon(ish).

*For £4000 you can have a chimney built!!

*Kevin

Kevin, this may be getting a bit wierd, but I had a quick nosy Google (just wondering how much information there is out there) and have found a Facebook account for someone of your name, who went to Anglia Rushkin Universtiy.

Now this is probably not you, but if it is I think we have an aquaintance in common.

Am I about to hit the six degrees of separation?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Hi Dave, I think it is COUNTRY KILN 5 WOOD BURNING STOVES AND MULTI FUEL STOVES =A3299.00

Its only smallish but it was chuffing heavy!! We do live in the pennines and he has about 50 steps up to his front door.

The biggest prob he has is trying to keep it going on a slowish burn all day long, too much air and its like a jet engine and too little and it goes out. I think he solved it by putting a few bit of coal around the log. He does use it every weekend and a few days in the week and does overnight burns with it too.

I am looking at a bigger one but am still in the "do I build a chimney or Selkirk pipe" I would ideally like to have it not encroaching into the room but as always money will be the deciding factor and obviousley we will have to decorate and have new carpet and sofas apparently.

I am really only going by his experience and have some cash from Xmas left so Iwas going to buy one and do the hard bit later.

I am on facebook but went to Heath Grammar school which I wasted.

Regards Kevin

I will get him to either send me a pic to put up or ask him to post it himself, he is a watcher too :-)

Reply to
Leaky

Hi Dave, I think it is COUNTRY KILN 5 WOOD BURNING STOVES AND MULTI FUEL STOVES £299.00

[...]

**************************

Thanks - very useful.

The Facebook page was not you then - it would have been beyond wierd if we knew the same people :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

David - one thing Kevin hasn't indicated is what wood his friend is burning. I find that pine has the characteristics he talks about - give air and it burns like fury, shut it down and it goes out. Properly dried hard would is far more obliging,,and will last in for ages and recover from a mere glow of combustion. Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Every wood is a bit different in that respect. Poplar and willow are very much 'blast furnace or nothing' woods. But decent hardwood is much better.

I like oak and ash a lot and some of the fruit and thorn trees. Birch is middling.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher