Wiring a dimmer switch....

Page 2 of 3
Lurch wrote:

Yes it does relate to this thread - you replied to this message by Andy Hall:
"> If it's only a one way switch, as this is, then it doesn't matter.

The poster was correct in saying in this situation, for a 1 way switch, it didn't matter each wire went where. He also pointed out (just so the poster didn't assume it was also the case for more ways) that had it been a 2 way switch then it would have mattered where the wires went.
Your reply to that (in other branch of thread - not that included at the top of this message) was:

Which is an incorrect statement - especially as you then said later:
"I know the placement of wires matters in 2 way switches".
The only thing I can see is that you were being troll-like in making a vague confusing reply of "No it wouldn't" meaning it didn't matter because it wasn't a 2 way switch (which was also what the poster said) - but knowing that it would be mis-understood to mean that the wiring didn't matter on 2 way switches. This replying then went on giving obtuse replies - not clearing it up early by saying "It doesn't matter in this situation because its a 1 way switch".
That, to me, is troll-like behaviour.
David

Is there any chance you could expand on this please?

I think the only safe way is to get IMM to explain it...
--
*This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security *

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 17:39:10 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

::Groan Mode ON::
Ohhhhhh nnnnnooooooo....... ;)
PoP

Who let Ruth in here?
--
*When cheese gets it's picture taken, what does it say?

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message wrote:

Tee hee, but maybe it was Jan...
--
Andy

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 21:10:47 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

I heard a whooshing sound. Something just flew over my head. What's this reference to Ruth then?
PoP

Actually it's all terribly interesting right now. David's in a real state over the bovine TB spreading through his beef *and* dairy herds, and not only shot a badger dead recently (and was convicted, a terrible stain on the character of our favourite parish councillor) but is now talking about raising the drinking troughs above badger height. For light relief, he's plotting to annoy Linda Snell by letting Joe Grundy pretend-lease 6 acres of his land, so that Joe qualifies as running an Agricultural Enterprise and will be able to re-erect the pole barn Linda agitated to have the council order Joe to take down. And now Alan, the new right-on vicar, is seriously contemplating a drug rehab centre in the parish, after his failed attempt to help Luke who'd once stayed at Jill's on a farm holiday off the heroin. He's got right up Matt Crawford's nose with this idea - oh, and Matt is sh*gging Lilian, who's back from Guernsey and looking as if she wants to settle down. Alistair's hitting the bottle and letting his vet practice's finances go down the toilet, which Shula's just about to discover (or maybe has, haven't listened for a couple of days).
Shall I go on? ;-)
Stefek
On 3 Feb 2004 17:38:44 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@hp.com wrote:

Nnnnnnoooooooo! ;)
PoP

coming from the light fitting it wouldn't matter which way round the live and switch wire went into the two terminals that they were required to go into, (L1 and L2, or similar). If everyone would have just left it as my original answer, which was simple as the OP wanted it wouldn't matter. When people keep sticking irrellevant posts in threads it just confuses someone who doesn't know, which generally the OP wouldn't. If they wanted to know about two way switches they would ask about two way switches, or buy a book.
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 21:44:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@telling.you (Lurch) wrote:

There are such things as dimmers with 2way switching......
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 22:42:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@telling.you (Lurch) wrote:

FFS.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy's post was perfectly clear (as is his wont), a small additional amount of information that may have saved the Op (or someone else reading the thread) a small amount of heart ache if they came across one that was 2 way switched.

What then confused the matter was your reply to Andy and the ensuing thread.
--
Chris French, Leeds

mentioned above.

It would have been far better if he was offering additional advice to have pointed to a page somewhere on the web showing how to do it or explain his comments fully rather than making generally unclear comments.
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
"Lurch" wrote | Actually, what I meant was if it were a two way switch with a twin | coming from the light fitting it wouldn't matter which way round | the live and switch wire went into the two terminals that they were | required to go into, (L1 and L2, or similar).
Buuuut ...
If you've got a live and a switch live at the switch, and you put one into L1 and one into L2, the light will never come one because a two-way switch never shorts L1-L2. Does it?
Owain
On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 13:13:18 -0000, "Owain"

Draw a diagram, trace the route through the switches, then come back. ;-)
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
"Lurch" wrote | "Owain" wrote: | >| Actually, what I meant was if it were a two way switch with a | >| twin coming from the light fitting it wouldn't matter which | >| way round the live and switch wire went into the two terminals | >| that they were required to go into, (L1 and L2, or similar). | >Buuuut ... | >If you've got a live and a switch live at the switch, and you | >put one into L1 and one into L2, the light will never come one | >because a two-way switch never shorts L1-L2. Does it? | Quite right, it doesn't. But that's not how a two way switch works. | Draw a diagram, trace the route through the switches, then come back. | ;-)
But you said "two way switch with a twin coming from the light fitting" and "a live and switch wire" (switch wire singular) so you weren't describing 2-way switching and it does matter that one of the wire has to go into the COM if you're using a 2-way switch as a 1-way.
Owain
On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 22:42:54 -0000, "Owain"

theories of two way switching. ..
SJW A.C.S. Ltd.
"Lurch" wrote | "Owain" wrote: | I think you'll find if you follow the thread the topic moved to | theories of two way switching. | ..
Oh, sorry. I was still following the One True Original Thread and hadn't realised that you were talking about the New Standard Revised International Thread.
Owain