Wireless heating controls?

Hi All,

Following a our kitchen refit I cant fit our heating controls back inside the boiler cupboard due to lack of space. Rather than have the unit screwed onto a tiled wall Id quite like to go wireless and just have a small reciever next to the boiler and the control panel in another room. Has anyone had any experience with the any of the wireless offerings, (Keeping the hot water cylider wired isnt a problem), and if so which ones.

Thanks, Matthew

Reply to
Matthew

Hi,

I've just acquired a Honeywell CMT927 wireless programmable thermostat, which is the successor of the Honeywell CM67 which got very good reports in this group (see Google Groups). The receiver box that gets wired into the boiler is if anything slightly bigger than the wireless bit itself - it's 130w x 95h x 32d. The advantage is that it's not just a timer but a thermostat as well, so you can specify what temperature you want at what time of day and let the system get on with it. Also you can experiment with the best location to monitor.

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

A friend has one (make unknown) - he had to get the suppliers back to fit additional filtering on the mains as it was very erratic in operation. Has been OK since.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Have used Invensys/Drayton Digistats in for the last 7 years (in 2 homes) and can't fault them. Batteries last years and thermostatic control of heating is far superior to timed - we have the house warmer in the evening than the morning and a base during the day.

We've also put the stat in our living room rather than a hallway - that's where we are so that's where it seems sensible to control the temperature.

I teamed it with a Drayton Tempus for the water which has a useful 'boost' to switch water on for an hour if you run out and a holiday setting that lets you switch it off for x days but have hot water when you get home.

My one regret is not getting a dual channel and wiring the stat via that so we could switch everything off from one place BUT then the advantage of using the stat is that it will stop the house freezing as the 'night' setting of the stat (effectively off) will fire up if it drops below 7 degrees.

Reply to
b33k34

Thanks for the pointers. Im a bit confused. Ive had a look at the tech info for these two systems and Im not sure whether it allows me to do what I want.

Essentially I need to have a wireless (lounge based) panel for accessing the current features on the programmer for CH and DHW. Presumably this would consist of an RF base unit next to the boiler and a remote panel elsewhere. In not sure about the DHW in this context though. I would keep the wired cylinder stat and wired 3 way valve which would presumably connect back to the unit next to the boiler.

If you can follow my info can this be done simply?

Thanks, Matthew

Reply to
Matthew

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 06:57:39 -0700, Matthew mused:

No. Making the heating wireless is easy enough, the DHW not so much. How much fiddling do you do with the DHW though?

Reply to
Lurch

As Lurch says. Our DHW stays on the same settings all year round - a few hours in the morning, an hour at lunchtime and a few in the evening with slightly different timings at weekends. If we have guests we sometimes need to go and hit the boost button but probably only a few times each year. We switch the water off when we go on holiday.

The heating controls get adjusted a few times a week in winter and switched on and off regularly over spring and autumn.

Reply to
b33k34

So does this mean If I went for the Honeywell CM remote control panel I would still need a timeswitch near the boiler for DHW or does the HC60NG reciever allow you to set that?

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
Matthew

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 03:32:55 -0700, Matthew mused:

Yes, just a single channel 7 day one will do fine.

Is that the receiver that comes with the Honeywell CM67 stat? If so, then no.

Reply to
Lurch