wind turbine energy storage solved

've omitted the brake that would be applied to the generator when power isn't needed but the principle should be fairly easy to grasp. I'm amazed it hasn''t been done already. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim

That's brilliant, rubber storage. Have you sourced any Kilowatt rubber bands?

Reply to
brass monkey

Now you're just nitpicking 'cos you didn't think of it. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Pure genius!

Almost as good as my helium balloon cable car idea.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

ROFL!

Reply to
newshound

:D There's an easier method, just store it all on disk until needed.

Reply to
brass monkey

Excellent - except you've missed out the ratchet and pawl need to stop the elastic driving the windmill when the wind drops ...

Reply to
Terry Casey

But that is how you cope with the intermittent wind! you create wind!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's the function of baked beans.

Reply to
Davey

I wont ask, but nobody has mentioned the gyroscopic storage yet. I'm sure there must be many ways to store energy, sadly none as as efficient as it might appear at a glance.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Pardon me for asking this, but would it not be more efficient to simply wind up a huge clockwork motor as per the early wind up radios?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I note that your desire to save energy by winding things up is not confined to rubber bands.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Inspired. Did you apply for a patent before disclosing it all over the internet? There has been a run on industrial grade rubber bands.

The gear at the top of the mast has to be able to turn into the wind. They might start whirling around like a field of demented dervishes.

Reply to
Onetap

also needs a brake at the other end for when its fully wound-up and the wind drops

Reply to
djc

internet? There has been a run on industrial grade rubber bands.

might start whirling around like a field of demented dervishes. Not a problem, just collect all the rubber bands the postmen drop in the street and on your driveway.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Love it!

I saw a sensible answer the other day - wind turbine used to run a water condenser (AKA dehumidifier, but outdoors). Every desert town should have one.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

now all we need is some techique for getting energy out of wind turbines when we *do* need it

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Friction in the gears and spring, against hysteresis and sliding friction in the rubber? A hard one to call.

Reply to
newshound

Easier would be to raise a big weight, so the load would not get greater towards the end, as a spring or rubber band would. Make the weight as big as possible, adjust the lifting gearing to suit, even dig a deep hole for extra capacity. The turbines are already tall tubes. Plenty of old mine shafts around.

Reply to
Davey

Thought of that one already. Put every house in the country on jack-up platforms. Houses could then be jacked up on hydraulic rams in times of excess power production. The stored PE would then be used to generate electricity when needed. Stepping out of your front door in the morning could be problematic though... ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie