Will the chancellor cane house owners in the budget?

Page 14 of 16

He thinks they should be back in cardboard city. In fact, the next Tory party manifesto will a programme to re-introduce these.
Christian McArdle wrote:

Exactly - basic 3 bed semi in Guildford, Surrey outside of high crime Council Estate = 220k (inside said estate about 190k). We sold our 2 bed maisonette (in high crime Council Estate) for 135k a year ago. Have now seen the downstairs 1 bed maisonette going for 145k.
On my salary alone we had to borrow 6.8x income (would have been 8x if we hadn't made some money on our flat). On joint income, its more like 4x joint income. Though being married to a nurse doesn't bring in bucketloads of cash, nor does having an unexpected baby arrive!
Whilst we could have rented - the rent on a similar place was more than the mortgage.
So I take issue that it is greed. We moved because we were unhappy with neighbours kicking their doors in, bashing up their wives and kids riding motorbikes around. We knew we wanted a family at some point in the not too distant future and that we'd outgrown the 2 bed flat - so 3 beds was the most sensible option. We wanted to save on fees so didn't want a stop-gap move (ie. pay estate agent fees, solicitor fees and stamp duty) so moved to a 3 bed place. As it turned out we bought pretty much the cheapest 3 bed semi we could (with horrible stone cladding and misted/rotten aluminium double glazing) for 204k a year ago.
David

I'll respond by quoting the response I get when I complain about the crappy trains; "Move".
writes

the slate clean (only 12 months now) - leaving everyone else to pick up their share of the 'debt'.
--
Andrew

Just release lots of land in the country in order to build on, preferable to individual self builders, and prices will stop rising.

Another bit of sense:-)
--
Tony Sayer

How would releasing land in East Anglia (say) affect house prices in Docklands?

I bombard you with sense constantly.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Do you mean prices will still keep rising? How do you figure this out?

redistribution, land value tax, Henry George, Kevin Cahill, Paxo, Elizabeth Windsor and the House of Lords.
Why don't you post all your material on a web site, then all you would need to do is post a URL. Think of the time saving and the extra cha cha cha that you could enjoy.
Everybody else could out together another site refuting all your arguments and life would be really simple.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I am?

Not forgetting the tango, of which I am a master.

It would?
Andy Hall wrote:

Can we also have a separate site for the "cheap, crappy tools replaced frequently v. quality tools that last" debate? Happy to host both of those for free.
--
Grunff

Is that your thing? get your jollies from that?
IMM wrote:

What, hosting? Yes, it very much is my thing. Very enjoyable it is too.
--
Grunff

Good idea. I think we've covered most of the possible angles on that.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Could I reserve two extra pages please - one covering the IMM principles of converting a cold roof into a warm roof, and the other explaining his miraculous theory of how to heat up just the top of a hot water cylinder using the coil at the bottom.
Peter

Good idea!
Mitchell wrote:

Hopefully he'll have the sense to introduce transitional bands so that (say) you pay the same at 200K and 300K but there is no sudden step change at 250K instead of the current 1%-3% jump so the transitional rate would be 7% on the 200-300K band. The problem with this is that the press would have a field day pointing out that the stamp duty on a 240K house had gone up from 2,400 to 4,800 whilst ignoring the fact that houses that were priced at 249,999 could now be sold for 260K leaving the seller considerably better off. And at 275K you'd pay 7,250 instead of the current 8,250.
But it would be easier just to charge everyone 5% <g>

by transferring stamp duty from the buyer to the vendor. This would have the added advantage of getting some money back from non-dom property owners who are exempt from CGT even if the latter was extended to the main residence. It would also claw back more from people selling their overpriced london piles and moving out the 'country'.
--
Andrew