White stuff on windows

sily question, but what's that white stuff that people have on their windows when decorating (if they have no curtains) so you can't see in ?

Reply to
DrLargePants

Cheap emulsion paint perhaps?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Glass cleaning cream applied and left to dry! Apart from white emulsion that is :-)

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

Probably snow - if it's mid-winter !!! :-)

Reply to
woodglass

"DrLargePants" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Whiting - so far as I know, this is powdered chalk. Mixed to a thin cream with water and smeared over the glass. It is possible that something else is added (such as a touch of glue size).

However, the suggestion of pink Windolene works quite well and is possibly slightly easier to clean off.

Whiting is also used to reduce the temperature in a greenhouse.

And it's not the question that's silly!

Reply to
Rod

Where do you get hold of it? I haven't seen it for years.

Reply to
<me9

wrote in news:4D94D807CD% snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk:

Most of the south of England is chalk... :-)

But true - I have not seen whiting for sale for a very long time (other than in a fishmongers). Perhaps someone else can add that useful bit of info?

Reply to
Rod

Greenhouse shading?

Reply to
Rob Morley

I heard somewhere that it was soap, but I've never tried it (putting it on windows, that is).

Reply to
Aidan

I used to use it on my Dunlop Green Flash 'daps'

Reply to
OG

I worked in the aerospace industry for many years, on fast military jets.

When a new man came to the section, the first thing I would say to them was:-

'there is no such thing as a silly question, if you do not know and can't find out from a book, then ask'.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

pmsl!

Reply to
ben

Bit of an old thread I know but I just gorra give the right answer.

Windowlene, applied wet then wait for it to dry.

From your local supermarkets or chandlers.

Reply to
ben