White foam board single 8x4ft sheet - source?

Does anyone know of a source for single 8x4ft sheets of white foam board? All the suppliers I've found will only sell boxes of a dozen or thirteen. Presumably this is to avoid (or minimise) any possible damage in delivery and I can see that would be a risk with a single board: but if there is a supplier I'd appreciate any details.

Many thanks.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Ask a local signmaker nicely?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I don't know of a truly local signmaker, but I'll investigate. Thanks for the thought.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

On Wednesday 30 January 2013 15:24 Bert Coules wrote in uk.d-i-y:

What foam? Expanded polystyrene, often traded as "jablite"?

Reply to
Tim Watts

The stuff I'm thinking of - I have a sample in front of me - has a solid lightweight core sandwiched between two sheets of what feels like very thin plastic. I've always known this as "foamcore". I thought that Jablite was just expanded polystyrene in slab form.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Try googling for exhibition contractors or Yelling for "Foamex" board.

DerekG

Reply to
DerekG

On Wednesday 30 January 2013 17:34 Bert Coules wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Ah - with you now. Signwriters, as others have said. Go round one offering cash.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Astonishingly, I've just discovered a signwriting company not five minutes walk from where I live. And they can supply from stock a single sheet of exactly the right material.

They can also get a cut-to-size aluminium channel frame, which is something I'd considered both for neatness and for protecting the edges of the foamboard, but it's pricey: £120 plus delivery (plus VAT) and another hundred for respraying if I want it in matt black (which I do). So I'm looking elsewhere for suitable channel, perhaps in plastic, to fit over the edges of the 5mm board.

Many thanks to all who replied.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules