Where the Germans fear to tread

In message , Andy Burns writes

Reply to
Tim Lamb

By _when_?

We need 'um NOW

Why oh why did some one not start this 10 yrs ago - when we had money ...

Oh as you were SNAFU.

Yes that's my Al titfer on the nail - Ta

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

Because the government are dickheads... And the greenwash bastards were scaring everyone. I'm with Johnny Ball on all of this...

I have no idea what any of that means... But I probably agree with it...

Reply to
Tim Watts

That should be "The One Hundred Metres", or was Rincewind a sparks?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Agree

Situation Normal All Fouled(1) Up

Al => Aluminium

HTH

Avpx

(1) Well nearly but you can work that out I'm sure :-)

Reply to
The Nomad

before any construction begins, first output maybe fifteen years from now, providing only about 4 GW* of generation and because wind turbines 'make money faster' no one is wiling to provide finance to support it, the Japs (and the Yanks because this is GE-Hitachi) are barely doing anything above licencing the design.

We desperately need a quintuple dip recession to suppress demand, luckily all that is assured thanks to the outstanding skills of George Osborne.

  • Maximum of three sites in total and they won't build more than one reactor of around 1300MW at each until the first batch are all up and running successfully.
Reply to
The Other Mike

According to BBC news tonight, the reason the japs are interested is that nuclear is rather out of fashion in their country now...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well the beeb* WOULD emphasise that wouldn't they?

*That well known Guardian Alter Ego.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They didn't emphasise it.

I find it quite interesting that the pro nuclear lobby want to ignore any possible hazards. And those hazards are likely to be greater by allowing a foreign owned company to operate here, as history has proved all over the world.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The three biggest nuclear accidents were all down to national operators operating nationally.

So history proves the reverse really.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well Hitachi C60s were foreign as well - and far better than some.

Reply to
polygonum

They've recently turned a couple back on, and have a couple of new sites under construction, be interesting to see if they ever get commissioned.

Reply to
Andy Burns

They will. They will understand that its economic suicide to rely on imported gas and coal.

No one really wants nuclear, any more than they wanted coal powered steam trains, but when its all you have...that works and fits the bill.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher