Where can I connect to?

Further to my last post, when I replace the lead incoming water pipe where can I connect it to? At the moment it comes into the larder floor, up the wall across the ceiling, into the kitchen then on up that wall into the bathroom. The system is a combi boiler, hence no storage tanks, can I simply take it into the kitchen and connect into the copper pipe feeding the kitchen sink? Surely that will be ok, or am I thinking in electric terms?

TIA John

Reply to
Broadback

If I understand you correctly, you take the mdpe up to the stopcock, wherever that may be, unless it is impractical to do so. There are widely available stopcocks that accept 25mm mdpe on one side, and then 22mm or 15mm copper the other.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 19:09:47 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Broadback strung together this:

You mean move the stoptap to under the sink? Yes, a good idea, especially if it saves pipes on show and is a lot easier. Just cut off the connection from lead to copper wherever that maybe and blank it off and stick a tee in the cold under the sink. Where did the electric come into the equation?

Reply to
Lurch

I don't quite understand the question, and reference to electrics.

Your rising main will presumably enter the house from under the floorboards - and will need the main stop tap and drain point low down. It should then go straight up (or as straight as possible) to the highest point to be fed - with feeds to sinks, washbasins, toilets etc. being tee'd off along the way.

If some of your cold taps were previously fed from a storage tank, they'll now be straight off the mains instead. [All my cold feeds are straight off the mains anyway, the storage tank simply serving as a header for the hot water system].

Does that answer the question?

Reply to
Set Square

The point I was trying to get across was that at the moment the water main(lead) comes into the house (there is a stopcock, but it has been painted over repeatedly and is useless) then in a rather convoluted fashion passes up over a door way, several feet along the kitchen wall, then up to the bathroom where is serves the bathroom, then 15mm copper comes down the other side of the kitchen for the sink.

I thought it would be easier to take the new water input, via stopcock and drain along to the kitchen sink cold feed and connect it there, where it is much more accessible. This would have 2 advantages

1) less piping in the house. 2) easier to connect the new plastic pipe and thus less time without water when the time comes.

The reference to electricity was that I am very familiar with that and if it was wiring it would be practical. Sorry for any confusion Cheers John

Reply to
Broadback

OK, I think I understand. You can connect your new supply to any convenient point within your current cold water distribution system. If under the kitchen sink is the most convenient point, then fine - as long as you blank off the previous connection point.

The only other thing to consider is to make sure that you've got adequate water carrying capacity to high usage areas - particularly the combi boiler. If in doubt, you may need to upgrade some of the existing 15mm copper to

22mm.
Reply to
Set Square