What sealant for cables into loft? Electrician's Dum Dum??

What is best for sealing around cables into the loft please? In particular, is there a non-setting sealant?

I ask as I am replacing some lighting cable. I know I need to make a good seal around cables to guard against condensation in the loft. Some sites recommend silicone sealant. While that has worked so far it seems to me it will make life hard if future work is needed - eg on changing light fittings. So I've looked around for the electrical equivalent of Boss White or Dum Dum without success so far.

Reply to
neverwas

"Non setting compound" - e.g.

I ask as I am replacing some lighting cable. I know I need

Most would use a plaster based filler (Polyfilla) or an acrylic sealant (painter's mate, decorator's caulk, etc.) for this.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Decorators caulk. It does set eventually, but flexibly, and its easy enough to rip out again. It's also paintable, unlike silicone.

When dealing with plasterboard and stud, a good filler and decorators caulk makes short work of any damage you do when adding or subtracting cables and fittings.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for the advice (and also that from TNP). I'll try the decorator's caulk tomorrow.

Leaves me feeling more useless than ever though as TLC-Direct was the first place I looked since their local delivery van driver's a frequent visitor lately.

Reply to
neverwas