What's it called?

The dash board light on my (heritage ) car are strange ones. They are filament but there is no metal base, the wires just emerge from a glass capsule and are bent over. It just pushes into the holder.

I've seen similar on some Christmas lights.

What's the prospect for using some sort of LED instead?

Reply to
harry

Commercially, the G9 capsule - used in table lamps, etc. - has bent over wire terminals. There are LED versions of the G9 available. Of course, whether one of these will fit in the space available is anybody's guess. You might have to make your own.

Reply to
charles

They are called capless wedge bulbs, usually 1.2w No idea about led replacements, but they last a long time anyway, is it worth it?

Reply to
MrCheerful

heritage = old banger...tee hee

Reply to
Jimbo in the near of Hawick ..

Yes there are garden lights like this and I've yet to find an led version as they need to be quite a wide beam width not to look damned silly.

I personally hate thus bulbs as any vibration and they work loose or corrode with any moisture.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Trouble with LEDs is they need some form of current limiting. This could be something as simple as a 1k resistor in series. So it's certainly do- able.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I have some in my old van. From the cheery reddish glow I guess they're under-run, hence they last a long time.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Are you sure that it's the G9? I've fitted only one G9 and that had stiff contacts, rather like solder tags. ISTR that somewhere around G4 looks a bit flimbly.

Reply to
PeterC

Or valuable investment.

Reply to
harry

Yup, that looks like the one. Thanks

Reply to
harry

You are Billy Bunter AICMFP! ("tee hee" indeed!).

Reply to
Johnny B Good