What are these things called ?

All

On some house, you see shaped stones on the point of a gable wall.

Any idea what these things are called ?

Thanks Rick

Reply to
Rick

Finials.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

Or perhaps

corbel n. supporting projection from wall.

Reply to
Nick

No, I think he was asking about finials.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mary

I have looked up "finials", and these tend to be decroative features of your roof ridge tiles. I am looking for something a whole lot bigger, built up on the wall, rather than decoration on the tiles, In the same way that a chimney may come out of the point of the gable wall, but somewhat more decroative, and functionally useless.

Thanks Rick

Reply to
Rick

I think they're just called caps or comb caps. They were usually associated with the roof combs which were originally placed on the ridges to ensure that evil spirits couldn't come and perch on your roof. These seem to work most of the time because we haven't had an evil spirt on our roof for ages now. Well, not since last August Bank holiday anyway :)

xav

p.s. I'm not certain about this...

Reply to
xaftor

These seem to work most of the time because we haven't had an

My neighbours go one in his condensing combi tho.

Nasty little devil.

All damp and snivelly.

Claims to be an 'Internet Guru' or something.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher