Wot are these called?

I bought myself a graphics tablet. It's huge and takes up too much room on my slidey-out keyboard shelf (technical term) so I want to hang another slidey-out shelf underneath the existing one so I can pull out just the graphics tablet should I so desire, or underneath the main desk top perhaps, so that the tablet slides out over the top of the keyboard.

So, wot I wants is two slidey things that will take a lump of contiboard. I've looked at drawer runners but they look as though they have to be fixed on the sides of a carcass, as you'd expect, but I want them to hang from above, as it were.

_________________________ [______________]

...sort of thing. Any ideas?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Yes, in the trade they are called 'Slidey things for keyboard shelves'.

;)

sPoNIX

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

What he said ^^^

Seriously though, I too have been looking for something like this.

Could you fix two bits of batten edge-on to the underside of whatever you're fixing to, then have normal drawer runners attached to the battens?

FWIW, I checked the Woodfit catalogue and all I could see is

no separate components.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

I had a feeling it would be you ;)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

................................!

Of course.

Me = silly arse.

Right then - Screwfix. Or perhaps not as I'd like the runners before next July.

Thanks,

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Toolstation...

postage.

That'll do nicely thanks to Al's obvious (but not to me, of course) solution.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

B&Q sell um along with thier drawer runners. I got a pair here waiting to be fitted, when i get round to it.

Reply to
simon beer

I've got all sorts of things to be fitted when he gets round to it ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Prepare for a dreadful shock.

42754 is the 450mm version at 1.85.

The 1.50 one is 400mm number 79468

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No idea what they're called. But Isaac Lord will probably sell you some decent ones. Claim it's for a kitchen instead.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Oh no! I'm ruined! That's Christmas buggered then. :)

Actually, I ordered the 400mm ones - they were just on the same page as the bigger ones.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Thanks, but I think I'm sorted now. I'm just hoping the ones I've ordered aren't too deep. I might make lots of slidey shelves if they're ok :)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Don't forget that the "2 pack" only includes 2 items! (ref recent discussion about shoes)

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Srictly speaking these are not what youwere looking for. The proper ones=20 have brackets that allow the shelf to be hung under the desk top.

You will have to attach two false sides under the desk to accomodate=20 these. Best get some 'Euro'screws for attaching the runners to these=20 sides as incorrect screw can foul the runner. (Screwfix and others sell=20 these screws as 'drawer runner screws' but obviously their usage is much=20 wider than that, but if you only want 5/6 email me and I'll post you=20 them. We use them commercially.) Pre drill a 5mm hole to ease installing=20 them. A little cardboard template will help situate them correctly

--=20 Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Interesting. I've just used the smallest ordinary ones that don't quite pull through, but sometimes have to countersink the steel a bit more.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I can't be sure coz it's not what I was looking for but B&Q seemed to have a display that had stuff for building computer desks. I'm sure I saw fittings for an undershelf keyboard shelf. Might be worth having a look if you are near one of the awful places.

Sam

Reply to
Sam

But we can't find them anywhere. Do you know where they can be bought?

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

In message , "Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot" writes

Sounds the sort of thing Isaac Lord might stock

Reply to
raden

Off the top of my head, Haefle, Isaac Lord, Hetterich . The usual suspects

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

Thanks for that. Here they are:

Al Reynolds