what are these called...

In my garage there are strips of steel(?) about 1m long, 25mm wide, 3mm thick and with two lines of holes all the way along. They are screwed to the wall and to the wallplates, presumably to hold them in place.

They are just what I need for a projects, but I am not sure what they are called, or where i'd be able to get them. I am thinking Jewsons probably sell them, but if i go in an have to describe them, the guy behind the couter will treat me with even more contempt than usual, and i'll have to revert to swearing a lot and calling him "maate" :-)

Cheers

Chris

Reply to
Chris Styles

visionset

It sounds like you've got the answer. However if you're faced with a similar problem in the future you might like to do what I did. I took a photograph of an unknown item, printed it and took that into Jewsons. Worked perfectly.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick L

Sounds like a BAT Strap:

BAT brand belongs to Expemet:

there are in fact a number of makers of these)

Jewsons etc will have them.

Reply to
John Rumm

lateral restraint straps, they'll probably have a few different types, L shaped flat bars and also ones with a twist, they are fairly cheap and I've used them for a number of things aside from their intended purpose

Reply to
Phil L

Wickes sell them in various lengths, called restraint straps.

They are just what I need for a projects, but I am not sure what they

Wickes is self service :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Mmm.. but some of the teenage assistants still have the habit of referring to customers as Mate.

Easily addressed by referring to them as Sonny.

Reply to
Andy Hall

One of the many benefits of my logo embroidered overalls & polos shirts is that I'm becoming well kown in my local Wickes & B&Q. The staff are definitely more helpful.

They also call me Guv :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Branding, no less..... I'm impressed. :-)

Seriously though, this kind of thing makes a huge difference to the impression that people have of professionalism.

Have you thought about giveaways for customers with your name, email and phone number? Something that will last is important. I've used reasonable quality pens or notepads in the past. More recently, USB memory sticks (although mine are IT customers and the sticks have information loaded onto them.), not expensive for a better customer and appreciated.

That's more like it. Better if they call you Sir, though, especially the young ones - should learn some respect.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I get called "Big Man" occasionally - it's a Scottish sobriquet for anyone over 5'4".

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yup - it really does work :-) I think people massively underestimate the importance of this. Having 'corporate' workwear with a logo embroidered on is worth every penny.

Absolutely. It always make me laugh when I see people wearing overalls with "DeWalt" or similar logos on. The only logo I want on my overalls is mine!

Last week I wandered into a business on my local estate to give an estimate. The owner almost immediately pointed to the logo in my overalls & polo shirt & said "that's very professional". Booked the job on the spot at the price I wanted.

Pensioners/single women etc also love 'uniformed' people, it makes them feel safer.

And it's all 100% 'exclusively for business use' so it's 100% tax deductible!!!

I have business cards that are also fridge magnets. Everyone thinks it is a really cool idea, but the important thing is that they immediately stick them on their fridge or filing cabinet - therefore never losing my contact details.

Guv will do me - Guv.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman