We have to get three quotes even though we have someone prepared to do the work for free:-)

The Scout Hut has had it's stolen lead flashing replaced and it's now time to replace the water damaged emergency light.

I'll fit the light for the cost of the light (it's their choice if they want a new light or a free working second hand light that I legally removed from a hospital refurb).

The "rules" say that they need three quotes. And add to that the comment from the gobshite in a suit that has said that a second hand emergency light will need PAT testing before it can be fitted "so it might be cheaper to buy a new light". FFS what's wrong with the people in charge of the place[1]?

One of the things I want to do when I get back in there is swap the 40A MCB feeding the emergency lights for a 6 or 10A MCB - the 40A MCB was installed by a NICEIC firm after the 2007 floods!

[1] Ah - the misappropriation of 3.80 from petty cash when the Beaver leader bought me a kebab as a thank you for spending over an hour of my time finding the original fault on the emergency lighting late one evening and getting the power back on to the Scout Hut.
Reply to
ARW

No worries. You've got two friends I assume?

It you're going to fit it it isn't portable.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Why are you bothering at all, if they're so ungrateful?

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

ahem ISTR they are not *all* ungrateful ;>) (you want chili sauce on that Adam?)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

On Tuesday, April 9, 2013 7:35:04 PM UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk wrot e:

A. Do you want it done free or not? B. Submit 3 written quotes all from yourself for 0p, 1p and 2p

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Because I care.

The problem is the knobheads in charge and not the Beaver/Scout leaders - they are the ones that do things.

Reply to
ARW

My brother-in-law has given up leading a venture scout troop because the admin was getting to be absurd. Several nights a week absurd. I work on the same premises as a cub pack leader who is getting near to quitting for the same reason. IMO the organisation is going to go into meltdown if it doesn't get a grip on over-extreme H&S, child-protection, liability avoidance - all of which is a good thing until it is taken to extremes.

My solution?

I'm afraid we've had another break-in at the Scout Hut. No, I don't know how they did it but I suspect they had a key. Nothing was stolen but the burglar seems to have rewired the hut, put in a new consumer unit and emergency lighting and - here's the funny thing - there was a part-eaten kebab on the table.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

On Tuesday 09 April 2013 21:27 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Reply to
Tim Watts

Portable Appliance Testing for a fixed lamp? I don't think so!

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

I never fail to be surprised by how helpful people are on this group.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ask the gobshite to explain what he thinks the letter P stands for?

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

If you're prepared to do the job "for nowt" there shouldn't be any problem in getting the contract, unless the other two bidders are willing to pay to do the job.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

This growing safety obsession drives me up the wall.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Before you do, please read:

Richard

The problem these days seems to be that most paymasters assume crooked contractors rather than pure as the driven snow ones I'm afraid. Maybe its bitter experience, but it is sad nonetheless.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Regrettably, voluntary organisations are a common target for scams, and doi ng a small job free is one way in. It may be followed by an exorbitant char ge for materials (e.g. £90 for a few brackets and screws to mend some fur niture) or "I notice that needs doing, shall I fix it while I'm here?" with no mention that this one won't be free -- one local organisation was strun g along this way for several years and then presented with a £12,000 bill . Having the "suits" insist on proper quoting and contracts has become an e ssential protection. Otherwise a matey relationship with the "contractor" e volves where it's difficult to contest absurd bills.

Of course, we know that Adam's not planning anything like this, but there's too many who are.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran%proemail.co.uk

One has to wonder how far ahead this country would be if everyone did so= mething instead of spending their time preventing others from doing so.

-- =

If only women came with pull-down menus and on-line help.

Reply to
Major Scott

Brilliant!

-- =

Los Angeles's full name is =E2=80=9CEl Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula=E2=80=9D and can be abbreviated to 3.63% of its size, =E2=80=9CL.A.=E2=80=9D

Reply to
Major Scott

Yes Adam, a qualified electrician, could fall off a ladder when fitting = the light and sue the scout hut, I don't think so.....

-- =

While taking down the vitals for a soon-to-be mom, I asked how much she = weighed. "I really don't know," she said. "Well, more or less," I prompted. "More, I guess," she answered sadly.

Reply to
Major Scott

d doing a small job free is one way in. It may be followed by an exorbit= ant charge for materials (e.g. =A390 for a few brackets and screws to me= nd some furniture) or "I notice that needs doing, shall I fix it while I= 'm here?" with no mention that this one won't be free -- one local organ= isation was strung along this way for several years and then presented w= ith a =A312,000 bill. Having the "suits" insist on proper quoting and co= ntracts has become an essential protection. Otherwise a matey relationsh= ip with the "contractor" evolves where it's difficult to contest absurd = bills.

ere's too many who are.

So we make the assumption that nobody is friends with the scout leader, = how absurd. Following the rules to the letter without engaging brain...= .

-- =

In Today's Market Activity, Helium was up. Feathers were down. Paper was= stationary. Fluorescent tubing was dimmed in light trading. Knives were= up sharply. Cows steered into a bull market. Pencils lost a few points.= Hiking equipment was trailing. Elevators rose, while escalators continu= ed their slow decline. Weights were up in heavy trading. Light switches = were off. Mining equipment hit rock bottom. Diapers remain unchanged. Sh= ipping lines stayed at an even keel. The market for raisins dried up. Co= ca Cola fizzled. Caterpillar stock inched up a bit. Sun peaked at midday= . Balloon prices were inflated. And, Scott Tissue touched a new bottom. = Invest wisely!

Reply to
Major Scott