Water stop tap

Installing a new kitchen and the water stop tap sticks out of the wall right in the middle of a cupboard. I'd like to move it to skirting board height under the cupobaiord (cupboard - bl**dy red wine gets everywhere!).

Any reason why not, other than management complaining she has short arms?

Could I use a full bore lever valve as in

I turn off the supply at the end of the drive, remove existing tap and just fit the new one as low down as possible. It has to branch in two directions immediately after the tap so I assume a drain-off in each branch: one of them simply goes to kitchen and washing machine taps, the other to the rest of the house.

You can have it anywhere you like so long as it is in an easy accessible place to turn it off in an emergency.

Mines under the stairs but the cupboard area has been taken down

Reply to
George

Have you considered a Sure Stop

The Medway Handyman

once in a decade.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"F" wrote

required. It is usual to use the indoor shut off valve to adjust the flow rate to cold water taps, hence the ubiquitous stop tap.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Why not use two stopcocks, one in each branch? Then you can have water on in the kitchen whilst turned off in the rest of the house for maintenance or emergencies

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Why not! Excellent idea!

Thanks.

c*ck. It's brilliant - turns on and off like a lightswitch.

Reply to
Steve Walker

We installed one of these, due to a hard-to-reach & very stiff old brass

That sound like something the Victorians invented.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Anyone any long term experience of these? Do they fail to shut off fully after a few years like stopcocks & gate valves?

I know gas type fittings are reliable, but the access problem remains due to a tiger-tank weight Bosch washer in the way. Trying to avoid a remote wheel-&-chain-driven-stockcock!

I guess they have not been around long enough yet.

Reply to
Dorothy Bradbury

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 17:27:35 +0100, "Steve Walker" mused:

After having some experience of these I'd only use these for emergency use fitted above a stop tap with a more conveniently located stop tap further upstream.

Reply to
Lurch