water butts and extruded aluminium gutter downpipes

Hi,

My late father had his house fitted with aluminium guttering and downpipes. This was a system where the guttering was extruded in single pieces, using flat sheets and a clever fabrication machine. It uses rectangular cross section downpipes (also aluminium) which have a corrugated surface for rigidity.

Fine .

however my mum would like to trap water in a water butt.

There are round cross section traps and square ones, but none for this admittedly unusual system

I have a half memory of a system for trapping water using a kind of "bee sting" device. You drill a hole in your downpipe and insert in a plastic device which catches water trikling down the inside and diverts it. I think the idea was that this dould be fitted to downpipes without having to cut them. Did I dream this ? has anyone else grappled with this problem ?

many thanks

Reply to
jonathan.ives