Washing machine transportation locking bolts

I've taken delivery of my Siemans WM14E162GB washing machine. I'm unsure if the transportation locking bolts have been removed already as the diagram in the manual is not clear about the position of the bolts. The drum in revolving freely, does this mean the locking bolts have been removed and all I have to do is plumb it in?

Thanks.

Reply to
tartanneil

The bolts normally lock up the suspension not the rotation.

Make sure the tub assembly will move up and down and side to side.

Such screws normally have obvious coloured washers behind the heads.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

No idea about Siemens specifically, but the transport bolts do not stop the drum from revolving in machines I have seen! The drum will be suspended on some sort of hanger arrangement at the top, with dampers at the bottom to restrict the drum movement relative to the case (and all the other gubbins and gizmos) when in normal operation. The transport bolts are there to stop movement of the external drum when the machine is tipped and moved into unusual positions prior to installation. If the machine is run with the transport bolts in, then all the forces exerted by the fast revolving clothes will be transfered directly to the case rather than being absorbed by the drum suspension arrangement. Bottom line - make sure you find the transport bolts and remove them. Try contacting the supplier or check the Siemens site?

HTH

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Bob Minchin coughed up some electrons that declared:

Big and bright orange on most of the ones I've seen (though I still have a pair of black ones from about 15 years ago). Orange (and sometimes red) seems to be becoming the industry standard colour for bits that should be pulled off prior to operation; cf: shipping lock tabs in new printers.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

I once had a washing machine delivered where one of the bolts had been completely and irrepairably bent, so it wouldn't come out. It took me a while to work out whether it really was one of the locking bolts.

When I did realise that it really was a locking bolt, it became clear that the entire machine had been dropped from a very great height, and thing went straight back.

To be honest, if the machine was delivered without the locking bolts, rather than the deliverers removing them, and if the instructions said it should be shipped with them, I'd be demanding a replacement.

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

Seems unlikely that they would have been removed .Who delivered it? Did they take away all the packaging?. As others have said the bolts are usually identified quite clearly ...you sure they are not there .. ..I read on a Siemens review (see below)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- "~~~ After removing the plastic and polystyrene, you had to remove the

4 transportation bolts in the back and replace with 4 plastic bolts/hooks (which then holds the pipes) these are easy to replace, they even provide you with the spanner which fits the bolts. ... ...needed if you transport the machine to another house*

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ that the bolts are replaced by other fittings that hold the hoses ??? IS that the case with your machine ? And in any event they should have left the bolts with you in case the machine had to be taken elsewhere at some point .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

---------------------

-----------------------

Problem solved. It did have the bolts in and I've now removed them.

Thanks

Reply to
tartanneil

to be fair locking bolts are of quite limited value. Its exceptional for a washing machine to geneuinely need the bolts in place when moving. I've shifted loads of machines with no problem, and never once put the bolts in. It would take a major drop to do damage without the bolts.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

to be fair locking bolts are of quite limited value. Its exceptional for a washing machine to geneuinely need the bolts in place when moving. I've shifted loads of machines with no problem, and never once put the bolts in. It would take a major drop to do damage without the bolts.

NT

I think that tilting a machine and moving it could put too much strain on some of the flexible pipes and wires. Best advise surely it to retain the bolts at use them if moving the machine.

Incidentally OP - the bolts wouldn't stop the drum "revolving" - only from moving around on its suspension.

My last washer had a great slab of Polystyrene under it that I nearly overlooked.

Reply to
John

I once read that a high proportion of washing machines that are taken to the dump at the end of their lives still have their locking bolts installed.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Maybe people put them back in as they expect the machines to be reused for some purpose ,depending on whats wrong with them...

Reply to
NOSPAMnet