Washing Machine Repair

We have a Hotpoint WMA35 (1100rpm spin) washing machine. Over the last week or so it has become increasing noisy on fast spin. I am thinking that the drum bearings may have gone. Has anyone attempted to replace drum bearings on a Hotpoint washer? Not sure whether to try and repair or get shut of it and buy a new one.

Have seen bearing kits on ebay for around £9 so repair should be cheap.

Reply to
slider

Yes, I've done one. You have to give the front bearing a fair old whack to get it out and again to get the new one into place. I bought a large socket, that fitted the outer ring. I should add that although fine immediately, it didn't last too long, but that may have been due to a suspension fault, rather than the bearing itself, because it used to shake a lot while spinning. If yours is pretty stable whilst spinning and you're up for a challenge, for a few £££s I'd give it a go. I'm assuming the bearing comes with a new seal, which sits in front of the bearing itself !

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

I've done it, not complicated, mainly brute force & ignorance. Patience is a useful attribute :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Leave the replacement bearing in the freezer overnight, they will then slip in easier

Reply to
Sam Farrell

It's a sod of a job, but doable. IF....you have the kind where you don't have to replace the entire drum assembly. Look for spare parts for that model...if the bearings are for your model, then yes.

By the time it gets to that stage, the shaft and spider may need replacement too. Since you have to remove it to replace the bearings, it's worth doing.

Shop around for the spider/bearing kit; they vary wildly in price, even for genuine parts.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Providing you can dismantle the machine to get access to the old bearing, and you are able to remove the old bearing (which usually takes some doing) and you able to fit the new bearing without damaging the ball race it in the process, it should be fine. In my opinion it is one of the more difficult Damage It Yourself jobs. If it doesn't work out at least you will only have lost nine quid. These instructions for replacing the bearings on a similar model (WM63) will give you some idea of what is involved

. Good luck!

Reply to
DIY

?id=83829

Reply to
DIY

They were under a fiver for the genuine Hotpoint ones, including a new bearing seal, from CPC, last time I bought one (+P&P). I would suggest buying a new drum seal too, as the old one is unlikely to seal well again after you've had the front off the outer drum to get the inner drum out, and it's also quite cheap.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thank you all that replied. Sounds a mare of a job. Will have a look, although will probably end up banging it on ebay for spares or repair and getting a new one.

Reply to
slider

I did our 25 year old Hotpoint a year or two ago. BF&I to get the old ones out, but new ones in freezer and heat applied (via heat gun) to drum allowed new ones to be pushed in by hand (after I'd made a jig out of hardwood to pull them in -- I didn't need it).

Reply to
<me9

believe me it is. I've done more than one, and never again. If you do go ahead, this was handy - or should I say essential:

NT