Washing machine knocking - bearing?

Our 7 year old Bosch washing machine has started making a loud knocking when spinning. Closer inspection reveals that there is some play between the inner drum (with holes in it) and the outer drum. When spinning, the two knock together.

I've never taken a drum apart - what holds the inner drum in place? Surely not just the big bearing at the back?

I need to decide whether it's worth replacing whatever is broken (and the door seal, which has started leaking), or whether I should just bin the machine.

One thing is for sure - I ain't buying another Bosch washing machine. It gets used 2-3 times a week, and in it's 7 year life it has so far needed a new motor and a new solenoid valve.

TIA

Reply to
Grunff

Yes, until it collapses. There are normally two of them.

Bearing and bearing seal is about £5 from CPC (for a Hotpoint at least). I would also suggest you get a new drum seal for when you reassemble the drum (few quid) if applicable to your Bosch. I think a door seal was around the £10-15 mark last time I bought one (CPC again).

I would not think it is a write-off yet if you are willing to try a DIY repair. It might be if you add a call-out and labour fee.

New motor in that time sounds a bit bad.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Both at the back? So nothing between the wall of the inner drum and that of the outer drum?

If the price is anything like those you quote then I'll definitely repair. I would be doing the repair myself. But I have a feeling they might not be - the motor was ~£150!

It was only about 4 years old when the motor went. It wasn't the brushes, it was the armature.

Thanks for the advice, I'll get some prices.

Reply to
Grunff

Otherwise time for a Miele. Ten year guarantee. Sorted.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

The next one probably will be a Miele - everyone who has one seems to have great things to say about them, and the prices aren't too bad, especially in the John Lewis range.

Reply to
Grunff

I am amazed ! We had a Bosch washer dryer for 19 years with nothing needed at all. We live in a hard water area, never use Calgon, did two or three HEAVY loads a week until kids arrived then six or seven a week - thilfy loads many of them and what finally got it was the three heating elements corroded through and tripped the RCCD. I disconnected the first one so it took a bit longer to heat up, then after 6 months or so the next one corroded through, disconnected that as well whilst I found a new machine, and bought another Bosch washer drier - that was some 5 years ago and two of those have been washing for an extra person (equivalent to two extra) and it has been doing around 7 or 8 loads a week - again its been faultless so far. Some of the loads have been so out of balance I thought the machine was going to come through the wall but nothing has broken yet although we do load it a little lighter these days in case something gives. Friends with a B and B do 4 loads a DAY (towels and bed linen) and their machine (Bosch Logixx ?) which has been faultless for 4 years so far.......

So we have been very happy with Bosch........

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

I'me usually very fond of Bosch. Most of my power tools are Bosch, as is our fridge/freezer. This has been the one big disappointment. More disappointing than the actual failures was the price of the parts, partcularly the motor.

We treat the washing machine very gently, never overloading it, and we don't do that many washes.

Reply to
Grunff

I don't know that Bosch, but you'll probably find there are two bearings around 4 inches apart in the rear of the outer drum, with the shaft from the inner drum passing through them. The distance between them is important for coupling the two drums together with an unballanced load. In the Hotpoint, the rear bearing is slightly smaller diameter and the shaft stepped to match.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Ok, I've called 6 places, 4 online and 2 local, and they all say that the bearings for this machine (wfb2004) are only available as a complete set including the casting. Lowest price £114 + vat.

One of the local places suggested that if I knocked the bearings out and brought them in they might be able to match them. But this would leave me without washing machine for several days.

This is why I will not be buying another Bosch washing machine. I should point out that some Bosch washing machines have bearings available separately, but most don't.

Plan is to buy a replacement machine, then see if I can fix this one for SWMBO to use for horsey stuff.

Reply to
Grunff

It appears the Miele's on the John Lewis' website only have a TWO year guarantee.

However they do guarantee that they will stock spares for 20 years.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

What's the model number? Maybe someone on here can fond a bearing kit?

sPoniX

Reply to
sPoNiX

It appears that Bosch only supply the bearings as one unit including the casting. There's a good chance once I've removed them they will turn out to be a standard size, and I'll be able to buy replacements - but I haven't been able to find out the bearing dimensions (without taking machine apart).

Reply to
Grunff

I always thought it was recommended to replace both the casting and the bearings at the same time. However, the equivalent set for my Hotpoint (failed once after 6 years) was only 20 quid....!

Reply to
Bob Eager

get pattern parts, ienot made by bosch, should be a fraction that cost.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Sure - but the problem is no one can tell me the bearing dimensions, so I will only be able to find out if I can get some bearings when I've taken the machine apart and removed the bearings from the housing. I intend to do this, but only when the new machine arrives.

Reply to
Grunff

you dont need dimensions, you need make and model number.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Of the washing machine? Thise I have. What do I do with them??

Reply to
Grunff

You really need to knock the old bearings out as they will have the number on them go to your bearing shop with this, they are standard Bosch dont make bearings they are normally YKK, but check the drum shaft if this is shafted forget it.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

:0