Washer for drainage hole cap on waste bin ?

For some years there has been a waste bin on my property (there before I moved in) that is used as a water butt. The (rubber?) washer on the drainage hole cap has developed a split and it now leaks. Where can I get a replacement washer? The washer is about 2 inches across externally with a central hole about 1.5 inches across.

The bin is rectangular, 4 feet by 2 feet by about 3 feet deep - these are approximations, I can't find my tape measure to measure it accurately right now.

Thanks

Reply to
matt

I should add that it's one of those large 'commercial' waste bins that has a plastic flip-top lid

Reply to
matt

When I had this problem, I found a makers name on the bin, found their address on the internet and wrote to them asking if they could supply a washer. Got a packet through the post for nothing. Worth a try.

Dave

Reply to
gort

Ta, will give that a shot. :)

Reply to
matt

====================== Call in at your local garage / tyre fitter and scrounge an old inner tube. Cut a suitable washer using the old one as a pattern. Keep the remains of the inner tube for the next 50 years of use.

Cic.

Cicero

I like that idea, thanks. :)

Reply to
matt

The message from "Cicero" contains these words:

Also useful for anyone with a dirt-bike. A length of innertube slipped over the front of the front mudguard and allowed to dangle against the wheel stops that forward spray of mud that you then ride into while it's still airborne.

Of course, whether you want to ride around with what looks like an ill-fitting condom on the front of your bike is up to you, but it worked very well for me in my wild and wooly yoof.

Reply to
Guy King