Wall Trellis

Hello.

My better half would like this stuff -

- more interesting link -

fitted to the front of our house, for the encouragement of plants.

My question for the assembly is; are there any damp implications from this kind of thing?

The house is brick built, and rendered. I'm not sure with what or how old, and I am currently arranging for it to be patched and re-painted. That's what piqued her interest.

Looks to me like making a hole in the render and fixing screws through it would cause water to get some ingress into the brick, eventually causing a lot of expensive work.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
WeeBob

On the other hand, a dense plant covering will keep a lot of the rain off the render.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Pretty sure not.

It'll be a better idea than growing self-clinging plants (such as Ivy, and Hydrangia petiolaris) as these leave little rootlets on the wall which are impossible to remove.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Yes; but if (say) you get a leaking gutter or downpipe behind the plants they will also tend to hold the moisture.

Reply to
newshound

As well as providing mice with a handy route to the upper floor.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar