video recorder - any hope for it?

I have a Toshiba vcr/dvd combo just out of warrantee (of course) and the video part is playing up. It's a strange fault: the machine will sometimes play tapes ok but mostly the picture fades into noise (over about 10 seconds). Sometimes it fades back in again and the picture is just fine. The manual does say to try a video head cleaner tape (I know, I know) but that does seem to help for while in that it takes longer before the fade-out occurs. I don't think the video heads are duff as the picture can be clean for several minutes at a time. It sort of looks like the signal is being slowly tuned out! I tried manual tracking and that will bring the picture back - but then, out it goes again. This is with tapes that the machine itself records - and I've tried a couple oif different brands.

The wiring setup is, ntl cable feed from STB to video recorder + scart cable from recorder to TV.

Any suggestion if there's anything I can do myself to fix/adjust/check this - or it it back to the shop for 3 months :-)?

Thanks

Reply to
dave

Where did you buy it and how long out of warranty is it?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Them video head cleaners are ok if the tape dropout is light, but when it comes to Bad tapes(the sort you rent at the local film shop), it then becomes a case of clinging to the head. The only solution is to open it up and clean the heads with 100% alchohol swabs or Methylated spirits. if you do attempt this then be carful where the drum head is concerned as the heads are two/four small pieces of brass finely sticking out of the drum and are easily broken.

Reply to
ben

Its unlikely to be muck on the heads. If you knew enough to fix it, you'd not need to ask. Ie back to the shop.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

I would take it back to the shop you bought it from, they should replace it or refund you some money depending on the time you have had it for. To me it doesn't sound like it is fit for the purpose it was sold for, seeing as it's just out of warranty. If they start playing up threaten 'em with the trading standards. I think the shop has a responsibility for the product purchased for 5 years after purchase which kinda makes a mockery of extended warranties. I forget all the ins and outs but I was told this pretty recently about my home cinema system when that went nipples north,. I'd check it out with them though just in case...........

Richard

Reply to
r.rain

Hmmm!

Purchase a Home entertainment item out of a reputable shop and they give you

60 days warranty after this the 12 months warranty is still in force after its run out the item will have to be returned to manufacture for recompense.
Reply to
ben

I wonder if a belt is slipping somewhere.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Not sure I follow that...

When you buy something at retail your contract is with the retailer. Your statutory rights give you the expectation of "reasonable" service from it. If it fails to give that service then it is the retailer that is required to address the situation. The manufacturer was not a part of the contract of the sale and can not be obligated to deal with it.

What is "reasonable" will depend on the item in the first place. A 30 quid budget VCR that dies after 14 months has probably given a reasonable service in the circumstances. A 500 quid top end hard drive recorder that fails after 18 months however probably has not.

A manufacturer may offer a free replace/repair service to the end user - but that is something they do as a way of making their product more attractive to the *retailer*

Reply to
John Rumm

You have up to six years to bring a claim for defects, but that doesn't mean that goods will be expected to last for six years.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Your contract under SOGA is with the supplier, not the manufacturer.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Not exactly.

There is a statute of limitations of 6 years on the seller's statutory liability in terms of sale of goods legislation to consumers.

However, this does not mean that the retailer is compelled to repair/replace for free for this time period.

In the event of a dispute - reasonableness would apply. If the purchaser had bought a £15 unknown VCR and it failed after 5 years, then probably a claim under the Small Claims track through the court would not have a high chance of success. On the other hand, if as in this case it's a quality branded product failing just outside warranty, then there would be a good chance that the retailer would have to do something.

The warranty is simply there for the retailer's convenience and is basically a way that the manufacturer back-to-backs the retailer's responsibility with resources of his own in terms of repair or replacement.

Reply to
Andy Hall

If the picture is fading in and out at regular intervals its probably the audio control head that needs cleaning.Its the small head between the video heads and the pinch roller.This head picks up the audio and also control pulses for tracking.

Paul

Reply to
paul

It' usually poor tapes if you have a menu option to turn off automatic tracking or a manual tracking setting this will usually work but sometimes at the expense of a noise bar at the top of the screen.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Reply to
dave